Histogram-preserving Blending for Randomized Texture Tiling (aka Procedural stochastic texturing)

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Histogram-preserving Blending for Randomized Texture Tiling (aka Procedural stochastic texturing)

Post by Dade »

Rsharma wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:10 pm This research is from Brent Burley and Eric Heitz not Benedict.
http://jcgt.org/published/0008/04/02/
https://eheitzresearch.wordpress.com/722-2/
Please credit them.
I credited the right paper but the wrong author. I was assuming the author of the WebGL demo was the same of the paper.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Rsharma

Re: Histogram-preserving Blending for Randomized Texture Tiling (aka Procedural stochastic texturing)

Post by Rsharma »

Dade wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:15 pm
Rsharma wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:10 pm This research is from Brent Burley and Eric Heitz not Benedict.
http://jcgt.org/published/0008/04/02/
https://eheitzresearch.wordpress.com/722-2/
Please credit them.
I credited the right paper but the wrong author. I was assuming the author of the WebGL demo was the same of the paper.
Thank you for fixing it! Great implementation btw!
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:45 pm BTW
Are there any plans for custom controls like U&V offset, rotation & scale, amount and type of blending?
Here's corona's version for example
rndmztn-ctrls.jpg
I'm not sure if they can be of any real use or just clutter the UI. Our current defaults (Randomize tiles on, 3 tiles, high quality blending, exponential blending) should be good for all seasons. Did you find some alternatively useful setup ?
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

kintuX wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:45 pm Good looking and a necessary addition. 8-)

BTW
Are there any plans for custom controls like U&V offset, rotation & scale, amount and type of blending?
rndmztn-ctrls.jpg
Count me in for that. This would be amazing and add so much more variance to scenes if necessary. In Blender I use UV randomization all the time. This and the Bevel Shader (which I see you are already working on) would be awesome improvements.
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Dade wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:35 pm
kintuX wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:45 pm BTW
rndmztn-ctrls.jpg
I'm not sure if they can be of any real use or just clutter the UI. Our current defaults (Randomize tiles on, 3 tiles, high quality blending, exponential blending) should be good for all seasons. Did you find some alternatively useful setup ?
Here's an example where randomized UV rotation comes in very handy. This are instances of the same object (same material of course) and all the wood grain is oriented differently, as it is in real life. I sometimes have dozens of them in scenes and this variance makes all the difference.

Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

AndreasResch wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:40 pm Here's an example where randomized UV rotation comes in very handy. This are instances of the same object (same material of course) and all the wood grain is oriented differently, as it is in real life. I sometimes have dozens of them in scenes and this variance makes all the difference.
Ok but I was talking of the "Tiling" section of the UI panel: Randomized UV and Randomized Tiling are somewhat 2 separate and uncorrelated topics.
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Dade wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:11 pm
AndreasResch wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:40 pm Here's an example where randomized UV rotation comes in very handy. This are instances of the same object (same material of course) and all the wood grain is oriented differently, as it is in real life. I sometimes have dozens of them in scenes and this variance makes all the difference.
Ok but I was talking of the "Tiling" section of the UI panel: Randomized UV and Randomized Tiling are somewhat 2 separate and uncorrelated topics.
I understand. But if you look at that Randomization dialog from Corona, it has a randomize option for the W axis. So with 1 tile and W randomization turned on, you will get the same result, right? Having some randomization in the Triplanar Mapping node would do the job as well.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

The support for CPUs and GPUs rendering should be now complete.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Dade wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:13 pm The support for CPUs and GPUs rendering should be now complete.
Awesome :geek:

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Heads up... tools are available in a web browser.
HPT.jpg
source: https://twitter.com/i/status/1318566180546879489

Tool to Make your texture tileable with histogram-preserving blending

"Disclaimer: this is a CPU implementation that runs in javascript. The GPU implementation presented in the paper is orders of magnitude faster. "

So yeah, thanks again to everyone involved in implementing it! 8-)