LuxCoreRender Project wants you!

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
Lincoln Deen

Re: LuxCoreRender Project wants you!

Post by Lincoln Deen »

Eyy!

My summer break recently started, and I've got plenty of time on my hands. I'm interested in contributing by writing some artist-oriented documentation, would be a good way to help and also learn more for my own purposes 😀

What areas of LuxCore do you guys think could use it the most? Suggestions for what aspects are poorly documented and need improvement, so I could begin researching those parts
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

I think, for a start it would be best for you to get acquainted with present situation. Make notes.
Then create specific thread on the topic for suggestions, proposals, critiques, inputs...
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I once made a list of wiki pages I'd like to write for the Blender addon: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendLuxCore/issues/44
It seems like the render engine settings page could use some additional explanations.

A page about how volumes are handled in the Blender addon might also be a good idea.
Maybe with a description where they can be used: in materials, in the world properties, in the camera properties.
And a link to the volume page of the LuxCore manual: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/LuxCoreRender_Volumes

But to be honest, you have to decide if this appeals to you. Pick something you want to work on, and everything else follows.
You could also ask in our blenderartists thread what the users there would like to see better documented.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

But the next iteration of blendluxcore is going to change.

there is a lot of suggestion people made for blendluxcore for blender 2.8. even shader are going to change. And this must be take in account i think. Just want to add that.

But anyway people still need documentation about current lux state.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Lincoln Deen

Post by Lincoln Deen »

Ahh yes, good point. I forgot about that 2.8 support is under way :lol:

I think it is probably a good idea to wait until a pre-release of that is out, and maybe then take a look at what aspects of the 2.8 version are different than the 2.79 Lux, for new users.

Doing some documentation for the 2.8 version would be a lot more useful than having some stuff that might be irrelevant in a few months

Thanks for the suggestions
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

You could still do documentation on general LuxCore features that have missing docs (unrelated to addon specifics), for example the new PhotonGI.

Another idea: We could use more "test rows" of various render settings.
Like on this page: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/LuxCoreR ... ular_Color

For example, you could take a complex scene with caustics and render two images:
- Path + Sobol
- Bidir + Metropolis
To show which scenes benefit from Bidir and which do not.
Maybe also take a simple scene and render it with both configurations, to show that the Path+Sobol image is much cleaner in the same time when the scene is simple.
You can use the example scenes for this.
Lincoln Deen

Post by Lincoln Deen »

Ahh good ideas, both of those seem like a good task! I think I'll start out with the PhotonGI, cuz I personally find it to be a really sweet feature. Will start looking deeper into it
Lincoln Deen

Post by Lincoln Deen »

That is, assuming I can figure out/learn enough to write anything meaningful :D

If ends up being too complex for me to wrap my mind around, I'll do the image comparisons
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

You can always ask any question you have :)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Dade wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:27 pm We are currently in dire need of a MacOS platform maintainer. There will not be a MacOS version of the project if we don't find one.
Still true.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties