Packaging

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
ashinms_Dozerman

Packaging

Post by ashinms_Dozerman »

What's the word on Snap/Flatpak packaging for cross-platform distribution? If we're rebooting Lux, a modern packaging model would seem like an obvious move. I have very little dev experience (especially with OpenCL), but if this is something being discussed and no one has stepped up to handle Snap or Flatpak packaging, it might be something I could learn over the weekend.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Packaging

Post by Dade »

ashinms_Dozerman wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:56 am What's the word on Snap/Flatpak packaging for cross-platform distribution? If we're rebooting Lux, a modern packaging model would seem like an obvious move. I have very little dev experience (especially with OpenCL), but if this is something being discussed and no one has stepped up to handle Snap or Flatpak packaging, it might be something I could learn over the weekend.
You are more than welcome. We are currently statically linking the Linux executable with most of the dependencies (it required a lot of work to develop such solution). So the binaries usually work on all Linux distributions.

The main component at the moment is pyluxcore.so, a Python module used by BlendLuxCore inside Blender. I'm not sure how (or if ?) Snap/Flatpak can handle this kind of situation: it is like a DLL used by another application (Blender) a not a complete standalone application.

Is it a situation where Snap/Flatpak can be used ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
ashinms_Dozerman

Post by ashinms_Dozerman »

Hmm. I'm not sure. It may be that Blender would also need to be a part of the whole sandbox, which is obviously an undesirable situation. I'll look over the documentation between now and next week and see what it says.

While we're talking, what will become of the old luxrender.net site? I'd hope to at least see the old gallery archived for historical reasons. BYOB told me you'd probably be the guy to ask.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

ashinms_Dozerman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:27 pm While we're talking, what will become of the old luxrender.net site? I'd hope to at least see the old gallery archived for historical reasons. BYOB told me you'd probably be the guy to ask.
The problem is no one know how to really touch the old installation (for instance image library was broken and has never been fixed). The domain has been renewed for another year, the hosting is in an unknown state (it could simply disappear from night and day).

I hope to do a full back at least but it may be a lot of old stuff hard to recover (and I doubt anyone will have the will to spend his time in such a task).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties