Env. Light Visibility Cache

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Env. Light Visibility Cache

Post by lacilaci »

well then it makes sense.

Btw will this cache perform well even in situations where object is lit only by hdri (no obstacles)?

Cause default visibility map gives much more noisy results in scenes that are very simple (like product viz with hdri only). There no map works better.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:10 am Any interest in having persistent cache ? It will work like PhotonGI: it can be used for animations of static environments (i.e. fly trough).
Yes, of course! :D
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Dade wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:05 pm TODO

OpenCL support, volumes support and transparent materials. I have still to check/add the support for the above topics so don't be surprised if they will not work.
I have added the support for transparent materials and volumes. This a 100 samples/pixel rendering without cache:

no-cache.jpg

and this with cache:

cache.jpg

Notice how the rendering without cache has still a lot of totally black pixels even after 100 samples.

Next OpenCL support.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

I still don't get how after cache/auto-portal the directly exposed area has a lot of noise. I would expect those to instantly clear.

Anyway, looking forward for OCL support. Will definitely help with interiors.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

Dade wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:18 am I have added the support for transparent materials and volumes.
It can be seen already on the ground in the example pics: render with cache is brighter than with map or nothing.
Looks like infinite lights only.
In previous versions all were equal.
The brightness issue is also visible in render with higher path depth.
ELVC.jpg
100 samples, path depth = 1.
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Had anyone crashes using Env cache map in huge scenes with many light sources?

I had one (that I can't share) that crashes everytime, sometime few seconds after the start of rendering phase...sometimes after the compiling kernel.

I'm writing here cause disabling the cache option stop to crash.
I'm using GPU (but it's the same with CPU), no BiDir, Sobol sampler, Log Power as light strategy, PGI...everything with defaults settings.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

marcatore wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:58 pm Had anyone crashes using Env cache map in huge scenes with many light sources?

I had one (that I can't share) that crashes everytime, sometime few seconds after the start of rendering phase...sometimes after the compiling kernel.

I'm writing here cause disabling the cache option stop to crash.
I'm using GPU (but it's the same with CPU), no BiDir, Sobol sampler, Log Power as light strategy, PGI...everything with defaults settings.
Yes it crashes for me too in an interior scene, previous build (not sure which) worked but I was still getting very ugly artifacting form env.cache in more complex scenes and it actually never dissappeared even after ~1000 samples.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

I added the OpenCL support for Env. Light Visibility Cache, it now works with GPUs too.

P.S. 3 days to find a damn bug (who ended to be not related to Env. Light Visibility Cache at all) :roll:
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Thanks you for this opencl support i was waiting for that one.
P.S. 3 days to find a damn bug (who ended to be not related to Env. Light Visibility Cache at all) :roll:
You hit my curiosity. And now i want to know more about that one. Even if i don't have the techinical ability to understand sometime.

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Sharlybg wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:31 pm You hit my curiosity. And now i want to know more about that one. Even if i don't have the techinical ability to understand sometime.
It was a regression introduced for this (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1211#p14651) and, indeed, it was hard to find because it was not in the new code I was writing (i.e. and checking for the bug).