SU2LX mat preview

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
nigec

SU2LX mat preview

Post by nigec »

I'm not sure if this is a possible bug but for some reason Luxcore fails to load the material preview scene.

Code: Select all

Parsing LuxRender SDL file...
LuxCore doesn't support the shape type loopsubdiv, ignoring the shape definition
RenderConfig loading error:
Exception during parsing (file 'C:\Users\nige\AppData\Roaming\LuxRender\ _Wood Square Tile 01.lxs', line: 151): Wrong trianglemesh/mesh uv list length: LUXCORE_OBJECT_2
This is the last thing I need to do, volume doesn't work and probably needs someone way more clever than me, last time I tried a simple cube with volume ate all my ram using luxcore, so something is very wrong there!
I was going to look at the old Blender plugin that generated lxs to see if volume is also broken
Attachments
LuxRenderpreview.zip
(62.11 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: SU2LX mat preview

Post by Dade »

"loopsubdiv" takes as input a mesh and further subdivide the surface: for instance, it takes a sphere made of 100 triangles and return a "smoother" sphere made of 400 triangles. It can easily generate millions of triangles if you subdivide too much.

It is not supported by LuxCore because is quite redundant and it is usually done by the application not by the renderer. It is usually an option you can enable/disable inside the application.

What is exactly the "material preview scene" ? Is it used by the script to render material preview ? Can you edit the scene so to avoid loopsubdiv ? I can tell you how.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
nigec

Post by nigec »

this is the material preview which shows in the material editor in the SU2LX plugin, the lxs file is generated by the plugin
there is 3 script that create the lxs, the first two scripts handle the render settings, stage and lights the 3rd is the sphere which is were the problem lies.

It seems overkill to re do it to use ply models when I could replace the sphere code but I have nothing that creates a single lxs script apart from Freecad but here is no uv's
nigec

Post by nigec »

The sub division would be for displacement which Luxrender had, you could up the values, smoothing etc, I know Luxcore doesn't have it
, so i'll probably hide the option
nigec

Re: SU2LX mat preview [solved]

Post by nigec »

I've rebuilt the preview and modified the script so it now uses ply files, also I can now swap the sphere for a cloth preview etc
I just need to figure out why the rendered image fov doesn't match Luxrender then I plan to share, that's about the only bad thing left
Attachments
preveiw.png