MaxToLux - Autodesk 3ds Max Integration for LuxCoreRender

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: MaxToLux - 3ds Max Integration for LuxCoreRender

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Nice to see so much progress on the 3ds Max plugin!
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:20 pm Nice to see so much progress on the 3ds Max plugin!
Nice to hear that.
I try my best to keep up and also manage my work.
patro

Post by patro »

Hi Omid, when will you post the next beta?
I remember you said something about weeklys.
Thank you
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

patro wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:02 am Hi Omid, when will you post the next beta?
I remember you said something about weeklys.
Thank you
Hi Patro.
It'll be ready in two days. I'll try my best to work on the MaxToLux and manage my work at the same time.
In the meanwhile, I add support for the environment map and IBL lighting that can be used in the upcoming build.
Hdri-IBL-Light.jpg
Hdri-IBL-Light.jpg
Hdri-IBL-Light-2.jpg
patro

Post by patro »

Looks very sweet with ibl lighting :) I'll test it. Thank you.
Will the next build support instances?
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

patro wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:25 am Looks very sweet with ibl lighting :) I'll test it. Thank you.
Will the next build support instances?
Unfortunately, I have a little bit of a problem detecting the instance inside 3dsmax, but I'm working on it at the moment and probably in two weeks, we are going to support object instancing.
The most issue is to detect the object that is instanced from the others. For that purpose, I need to select an object and go through all existed objects to see if the object is instanced from another one or not and repeat the process for every single remaining object again and again, and that's a huge process especially with a scene that contains a lot of objects. I'm trying to find a better solution for that.
The main core of 3dsmax UI is a single thread, also the object definition in LuxCore is not thread-safe, so, I need to do most of the translation of the scene in a single threat, if I want to create this type of loops, the object transitions will be far more time consuming than what it is at the moment.
It'll take a little longer but I'm going to find a good solution for it soon.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

You could look at some other open source render plugins for 3ds max and see how they do that. For example the appleseed plugin (you can also ask the appleseed devs in their discord for pointers where to start looking in the code, they are very friendly).
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:39 am You could look at some other open source render plugins for 3ds max and see how they do that. For example the appleseed plugin (you can also ask the appleseed devs in their discord for pointers where to start looking in the code, they are very friendly).
Thank you, for the point. I am working on Appleseed 3dsmax plugin too.
We have the same problem with Appleseed too.
I ask Autodesk and they give me a few suggestions, we are working on it.
patro

Post by patro »

HI Omid, maybe my advicre is pointless, but did you look into the geometry export file which Stig did for the Luxrender exporter? There should be written how the exporter recognise the instances. Of ourse it was done for earlier max version and all this might changed mean while.
If you wish i can contact a developer, which helped Stig with this geometry file.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

patro wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:06 pm HI Omid, maybe my advicre is pointless, but did you look into the geometry export file which Stig did for the Luxrender exporter? There should be written how the exporter recognise the instances. Of ourse it was done for earlier max version and all this might changed mean while.
If you wish i can contact a developer, which helped Stig with this geometry file.
Thank you for pointing that out, the old plugin was written by me and Stig and we work together on it. but we never reach the point to work on the instance and many other parts.
The code and everything about it are obsolete and way back in the dark.
However, One of the advanced developers in Autodesk gives me a few suggestions about the object's hash in 3dsmax that lead to an idea, base on this idea I will need a list of objects hash in memory before doing anything then I can send these hashes inside the multi-thread function to check if any of these hashes are the same as the others and return the hash list.
Now I can decide which objects are instances and which are not, of course, considering the difference of location/orientation or scales.
At that point, I have a list of objects that can be translated, now I need to subtract this object list from the remaining objects and do the translation for remain ones.
It's a bit confusing but In term of coding is not that much of hard and it could be much faster than compare objects in the main thread.
But at least, I need 2 or 3 weeks to implement it, especially that I do not have enough time these days.
Hopefully, I have something in mind to work on it.