OpenCL/C++ hybrid rendering

Discussion related to the LuxCore functionality, implementations and API.
kintuX

Re: OpenCL/C++ hybrid rendering

Post by kintuX »

niiice indeed :)

& here's a thought that is lately occupying my mind...

Could it be possible to manage units/devices so that they render per frame (for example as Farms work)?

For now it's possible to do it manually as one-by-one (1scene : 1blender app) rendering - at the same time:
1.frame/CPU1 + 2.frame/GPU1 + 3.frame/GPU2 + ...

One could even go further splitting rendering work (frames) for CPU by core (but haven't tried this yet ;) ).

The advantage is mostly prominent with animations of advanced (more complex) scenes:
+ more secure - if something goes wrong, not everything is wrong (unless the whole system collapses)
+ better time/resource prediction
+ less computing time per frame (compiling only for one unit/frame)
+ still enough computing resources available (at least one core) to continue working on other areas (post, composite, tonne mapping, checking, debugging, communications...)
+ after getting used to it, workflow/thought flow gets faster into the zone (less interrupted)

Have already done this, but manually & only with Cycles. On a single machine - otherwise i would need to have 3.
As time was of the essence, this workflow made it possible for me to deliver on time & some extra. ;)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:48 pm & here's a thought that is lately occupying my mind...

Could it be possible to manage units/devices so that they render per frame (for example as Farms work)?

For now it's possible to do it manually as one-by-one (1scene : 1blender app) rendering - at the same time:
1.frame/CPU1 + 2.frame/GPU1 + 3.frame/GPU2 + ...

One could even go further splitting rendering work (frames) for CPU by core (but haven't tried this yet ;) ).

The advantage is mostly prominent with animations of advanced (more complex) scenes:
+ more secure - if something goes wrong, not everything is wrong (unless the whole system collapses)
+ better time/resource prediction
+ less computing time per frame (compiling only for one unit/frame)
+ still enough computing resources available (at least one core) to continue working on other areas (post, composite, tonne mapping, checking, debugging, communications...)
+ after getting used to it, workflow/thought flow gets faster into the zone (less interrupted)

Have already done this, but manually & only with Cycles. On a single machine - otherwise i would need to have 3.
As time was of the essence, this workflow made it possible for me to deliver on time & some extra. ;)
This is the "Multi image rendering" described here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55#p659

It is not yet implemented but it will be.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:01 pm This is the "Multi image rendering" described here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55#p659

It is not yet implemented but it will be.
Amazing :) thank you