Understanding .ies parameters, efficacy

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Re: Understanding .ies parameters, efficacy

Post by marcatore »

Well..more than "preset" I think we should have some different setting options.

And about create an artistic preset, I'm not the best people to do it cause I really like another approach as I described before.
In any case, if I found something interesting to share I'll surely do.

for example, for one of my scenes, I tried to use clamping but this introduce some lighting "issues" and you start to tweak importance to re-achieve more contrast. So, actually, I'm not in the best position to suggest preset values.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

I understand you !
But i hope there is no confusion about my statement. What i mean by preset is Default starting value. like when you add a new lamp in Luxcore luxcore do :

Technical Mod
lamp.jpg

Artistic Mod
Lamp def.jpg
And SUN LAMP

Technical Mod
Sun tech.jpg
Sun tech.jpg (17.26 KiB) Viewed 4569 times

Artistic Mod
Sun art.jpg
Sun art.jpg (27.55 KiB) Viewed 4569 times

But this does not mean that you can not set it back to normal behaviour aka Technical Mod and vis versa just by manually tip your settings inside.

But currently We have to do it each time i add new lamp or new camera :

Technical Mod
Camera Techinical.jpg

Artistic Mod
Camera art.jpg

Also for World : Don't forget all theses value are reversible manually. no matter the mode it just make it easier to work with specific workflow.

Technical Mod
Backg.jpg
Backg.jpg (17.4 KiB) Viewed 4569 times

Artistic Mod
Back Art.jpg
Back Art.jpg (17.47 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
And the last one :

Clamping

Technical Mod
Eng Tc.jpg
Eng Tc.jpg (15.08 KiB) Viewed 4569 times

Artistic Mod
Eng Art.jpg
Eng Art.jpg (18.18 KiB) Viewed 4569 times

Remenber You can set back manually thing to any desir way in any Mode. And when switching from Mode X to Y during a given Project all existing lamp/camera/Clamping/background stay unchanged only new added object will be set by default according to the selected mod.

I hope i make it more understandable. It really doesn't change the way Luxcore work only the way User interaction/experience.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Now it's more clear your point-of-view about Technical/Artistic.
Mine is quite different.

I'll try to make some examples.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Sharlybg wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:18 am And when switching from Mode X to Y during a given Project all existing lamp/camera/Clamping/background stay unchanged only new added object will be set by default according to the selected mod.
Unfortunately this is not possible with the Blender API as far as I know.
I would need a custom function that is executed by Blender when a lamp is created, for example. And I could not find a way to do this yet.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Unfortunately this is not possible with the Blender API as far as I know.
I would need a custom function that is executed by Blender when a lamp is created, for example. And I could not find a way to do this yet.
But you can do it simply with python like this i guess :

Each time a new lamp is add user have only two check an option and this change number in lamp settings. Or user check a given option and then each time you add a lamp value come like now and changed to other value.

Like we can create a script that automatically change cube size each time a cube is added. the cube come with it default value and the script change it automatically.

Or i miss something ? :?:

Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

But Sun to distant / World background sky to flat color / Camera linear auto 0.5 to linear 1 can be change ?

pro

Post by pro »

Thanks for the explanation @lightning_freak, @Sharlybg and @Dade , now it's much more clear to me!
marcatore wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:14 am So, as in my job I have illumination design for the interiors, I can follow it creating some IES lamps according to the light fixture requested and using some realistic camera settings, at the end, the only tweaking I had to do is related to the materials.
@marcatore as I can see you're also working with illumination design, have you ever tryed to output illumination values (i.e. lux values on probe points) using LuxCoreRender?
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

No never tried both Vray ( I use daily) and Luxcore (actually I've just used it for small project where I was quite sure to be not in hurry... I hope to use it more frequently in the future).

I'm quite happy to use and set lighting with real values using IES file cause I'm just producing images and I'm not designing the lighting.
I receive a lighting plan with light orientation, a lighting simulation and a list of lighting fixtures (and then I search the IES file or I contact the lighting fixture manufacturer asking IES file).
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

@Sharlybg
Sorry to use again Vray (I know I'm in the Luxcore forum but I think that see one of the most used renderer is something to so) as example of what I mean as "technical option".
This is part of the options you have when you create a VrayIES light (https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY4MAX/VRayIES)

This is the standard options you have with a VrayLight

The first one approach could be the technical one and the second the artistic.
lighting_freak

Post by lighting_freak »

Hi,

Totally agree with marcatore proposal.
For technical use it would be useful to define all possible light sources with suitable values and units.

From my point this means.
Area lights may use [lm]
Point light sources also in [lm]
Laser sources may defined in [W] but make users aware that this is the emitted power and not the electrical power consumption.
For HDRI may define the luminance of brightest point of the image in [cd/m^2].
For flat colour I would suggest the same [cd/m^2].

For sky&sun the brightness is already calculated for real word conditions, aren't they?

Only my opinion, what's yours?

BR
OS - Windows 7 X64
CPU - Intel CORE i7
GPU1 - Variants of notebook card from nVidia
GPU2 - Variants of notebook onboard card from Intel
Lux - Latest possible relaease