Compiling rules: when should it happen?

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Compiling rules: when should it happen?

Post by marcatore »

Today I had a bit of free time for testing.

One question: compiling kernels should happen everytime I enable a new render feature? For example I create a new material type I've never created before or I had a sky texture and so on.
I'm asking this because I've launched some F12 render and sometimes I had to wait the compiling kernel time before see something but I didn't understood why.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Compiling rules: when should it happen?

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:16 pm Today I had a bit of free time for testing.

One question: compiling kernels should happen everytime I enable a new render feature? For example I create a new material type I've never created before or I had a sky texture and so on.
I'm asking this because I've launched some F12 render and sometimes I had to wait the compiling kernel time before see something but I didn't understood why.
Yes but it is even a bit worse: not only when you use a new feature but also when you change a parameter of some feature.

For instance , this LuxCore log line with the kernel symbol definitions:

[LuxCore][1.250] [PathOCLBaseRenderThread::0] Defined symbols: -D LUXRAYS_OPENCL_KERNEL -D SLG_OPENCL_KERNEL -D RENDER_ENGINE_PATHOCL -D PARAM_RAY_EPSILON_MIN=1.000000e-05f -D PARAM_RAY_EPSILON_MAX=1.000000e-01f -D PARAM_LIGHT_WORLD_RADIUS_SCALE=1.050000e+00f -D PARAM_ACCEL_BVH -D PARAM_FILM_RADIANCE_GROUP_0 -D PARAM_FILM_RADIANCE_GROUP_COUNT=1 -D PARAM_FILM_CHANNELS_HAS_CONVERGENCE -D PARAM_ENABLE_TEX_CONST_FLOAT -D PARAM_ENABLE_TEX_CONST_FLOAT3 -D PARAM_ENABLE_TEX_IMAGEMAP -D PARAM_ENABLE_TEX_NORMALMAP -D PARAM_ENABLE_TEX_FRESNELCOLOR -D PARAM_ENABLE_TEX_FRESNELCONST -D PARAM_ENABLE_MAT_MATTE -D PARAM_ENABLE_MAT_MIRROR -D PARAM_CAMERA_TYPE=0 -D PARAM_HAS_SKYLIGHT2 -D PARAM_HAS_ENVLIGHTS -D PARAM_MAX_PATH_DEPTH=3 -D PARAM_MAX_PATH_DEPTH_DIFFUSE=3 -D PARAM_MAX_PATH_DEPTH_GLOSSY=3 -D PARAM_MAX_PATH_DEPTH_SPECULAR=3 -D PARAM_RR_DEPTH=5 -D PARAM_RR_CAP=5.000000e-01f -D PARAM_SQRT_VARIANCE_CLAMP_MAX_VALUE=8.000000e+00f -D PARAM_IMAGE_FILTER_TYPE=5 -D PARAM_IMAGE_FILTER_WIDTH_X=2.000000e+00f -D PARAM_IMAGE_FILTER_WIDTH_Y=2.000000e+00f -D PARAM_IMAGE_FILTER_PIXEL_WIDTH_X=1 -D PARAM_IMAGE_FILTER_PIXEL_WIDTH_Y=1 -D PARAM_SAMPLER_TYPE=2 -D PARAM_SAMPLER_SOBOL_STARTOFFSET=32

There is stuff like "PARAM_ENABLE_MAT_MATTE" so a compilation will be triggered when you use a Matte material for the first time but there is also "PARAM_MAX_PATH_DEPTH=3" so any time you change the path tracing max. depth, a new kernel compilation will be required.

Any change in the above line will trigger a compilation (i.e. you have to factor all possibile combination of all possible parameters !).

Over the time I have greatly reduced the number of parameters, in particular, I'm trying to remove all parameters like PARAM_MAX_PATH_DEPTH or PARAM_RAY_EPSILON_MAX, etc. (the one that can have an infinite number of values).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

ok. understood.

I don't know how much I can ask but , in my PC, every recompiling needs me more than 15 minutes. So if it's a correct recompiling time, it's a bit difficult to use.

If my recompiling time is correct I hope that something will be done to reduce this.
jensverwiebe
Supporting Users

Post by jensverwiebe »

marcatore wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:36 pm ok. understood.

I don't know how much I can ask but , in my PC, every recompiling needs me more than 15 minutes. So if it's a correct recompiling time, it's a bit difficult to use.

If my recompiling time is correct I hope that something will be done to reduce this.
Aaaah damn... still those long compile times with Nvidia ?
Try to avoid procedurals atm..
There shoulld be a solution, for i have way shorter kernel compile times with other renderers ( ocl ).
Perhaps again some voodoo trick ?
@Dade: the way slower kernel compile on NVidia jumped in with cuda/ocl 8 drivers if i remeber right. ( linux >345.xx driver ).
Perhaps that hints to some change in NV api.

Jens
Last edited by jensverwiebe on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

There's the option to have some features always enabled, this is code from LuxBlend:

Code: Select all

enabled_features = (
    'MATTE ROUGHMATTE MATTETRANSLUCENT ROUGHMATTETRANSLUCENT'
    'GLOSSY2 GLOSSYTRANSLUCENT'
    'GLASS ARCHGLASS ROUGHGLASS'
    'MIRROR METAL2'
    'HOMOGENEOUS_VOL CLEAR_VOL'
    'IMAGEMAPS_BYTE_FORMA TIMAGEMAPS_HALF_FORMA TIMAGEMAPS_1xCHANNELS IMAGEMAPS_3xCHANNELS'
    'HAS_BUMPMAPS'
)
self.properties.Set(pyluxcore.Property('opencl.code.alwaysenabled', enabled_features))
I did not have the time to add this to the new addon yet.
In LuxBlend it was only used for viewport renders, but I guess it would be good to also have it as an option for final renders (in cases where they are not so final, e.g. test renders).
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

My VGA is a Quadro K5200 and the CPU is an intel Xeon E5 v3 @3.5Ghz with 16GB.

At the moment I have a very few basic material like matte, one glass, one metal.
Area lights with IES file, a Sun light + Sky background.

About the viewport preview I have to admit that it's quick to start. Just 1 or 2 seconds. the problem is only for the F12 render
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:36 pm I don't know how much I can ask but , in my PC, every recompiling needs me more than 15 minutes. So if it's a correct recompiling time, it's a bit difficult to use.

As Jens wrote, this is mostly an NVIDIA problem because their compiler is insanely slow. As general workaround, just use the CPU for editing/pre-view and the GPU only for final render.

The 2 most "deadly" factors for NVIDIA compiler (and in general) are:

- procedural textures;

- recursive materials and textures (i.e. textures referencing other textures like scale, mix, etc.)

Anyway, I will continue in the effort to reduce the number of compilation.

P.S. B.Y.O.B. post is also another aspect to factor.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:06 pm At the moment I have a very few basic material like matte, one glass, one metal.
Area lights with IES file, a Sun light + Sky background.
Mmm, 15 minutes for that kind of scene sound a bit too much even for NVIDIA compiler :?:
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

marcatore wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:06 pm About the viewport preview I have to admit that it's quick to start. Just 1 or 2 seconds. the problem is only for the F12 render
Currently the viewport is CPU-only (no OpenCL involved).
With RTPATHOCL you would moan a lot :P
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:17 pm Currently the viewport is CPU-only (no OpenCL involved).
With RTPATHOCL you would moan a lot :P
Eheheh...There is always a good reason for everything :)