Render in dark scenes

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
S0rda

Render in dark scenes

Post by S0rda »

Please tell me how to accelerate the rendering of diffuse surfaces in the dark scenes. I notice that the render successfully removes noise in the first five minutes of the render, after which it seems that efficiency is inversely proportional to time ...

I use gtx 1080ti, and the scene in the screenshot was rendered in less than an hour. It was an extremely pleasant surprise for me, after two hours in the Cycles did not give even half of the result in half an hour in the LuxCore. Having good lighting and a small amount of diffuse surfaces, there is almost no noise in the scene (only on something gray that I tried to pass off as sugar).

However, it seems that in all renders there is a problem when you try to render something in the dark, in the conditions of lack of photons, a huge amount of almost undetectable noise appears in the scene.
Attachments
L.C.untitled5.png
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Render in dark scenes

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Nice scene.
What are your render settings right now? Engine, sampler, show some screenshots?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

S0rda wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:08 pm Please tell me how to accelerate the rendering of diffuse surfaces in the dark scenes. I notice that the render successfully removes noise in the first five minutes of the render, after which it seems that efficiency is inversely proportional to time ...

I use gtx 1080ti, and the scene in the screenshot was rendered in less than an hour. It was an extremely pleasant surprise for me, after two hours in the Cycles did not give even half of the result in half an hour in the LuxCore. Having good lighting and a small amount of diffuse surfaces, there is almost no noise in the scene (only on something gray that I tried to pass off as sugar).

However, it seems that in all renders there is a problem when you try to render something in the dark, in the conditions of lack of photons, a huge amount of almost undetectable noise appears in the scene.
To cut in half the noise you need 4 times more samples (i.e. rendering time). This is the (sad) mathematical true about noise. So your experience is not uncommon however the development of denosier is exactly intended to help with this kind of problems.

Have you tried a daily build with Intel Denoiser ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
S0rda

Post by S0rda »

The dimension of sphere is 27 cm.
The image with the sphere is made in marmosset, the only thing I like about it is a smooth, almost perfect gradient, between the light and dark areas. However, this is where the pluses end, and I still have to wait for the “not real time” render to get the picture more difficult than in this area. Instead of such gradients, I get a huge amount of noise on the transitions from light to dark areas, for which you have to set the render time for ten minutes or more. Perhaps this is just my delusion, but during the fact that the games are more like a movie, on one of the most powerful video cards in the world, getting a noisy sphere in more than 10-20 minutes .... N minutes is strange.

A piece of sphere on the other screenshot is what I get in the luxrader. From a distance it looks "good", but close it is terrible.
If you try to use noise reduction, it does not work very well, much like blur-option in video games, when in the end everything gets blurred or a mix of dark and light pixels is obtained, just in a different order.
Attachments
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG
screenshot001.png
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Total path depth 100 ?!? Uh, why ?
S0rda

Post by S0rda »

I have not tried the daily build. Correct, unless that denoiser, that in the actual version of the program, not the same, that from intel? I will try, maybe it will work. Please tell me the current settings for it. In particular, how would I remove the noise with the settings that I gave in the screenshots. Because I understand very little in the noise reduction settings in cycles or luxcore. Of course, I understand, there are manuals, but it’s somehow difficult for me to “go deep into the fussing with pixels”, sorry if you consider me lazy.
S0rda

Post by S0rda »

Dade wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 pm Total path depth 100 ?!? Uh, why ?
I tried the values at 10, at 20, 100, but the render time was not reduced, as was the noise level.

In addition, I do not understand why this is bad (or good), I mostly intuitively set values. Well, it seems to be no difference that the diffuse or general limit will be a hundred, because here viewtopic.php?t=508# top it is written that when one of the values reaches the maximum, the calculation stops.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

S0rda wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 pm
Dade wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 pm Total path depth 100 ?!? Uh, why ?
I tried the values at 10, at 20, 100, but the render time was not reduced, as was the noise level.
Why should it be reduced ? It ill be increased by 10 times ! You are telling LuxCoreRender to bounce the light 10x more times when going from 10 to 100. In your original scene, you are likely to increase the rendering time by a LOT.
S0rda

Post by S0rda »

Does not a greater reflection of light produce a lower noise level, so that as many “pixels are lit” as possible?
S0rda

Post by S0rda »

Nice scene.
Thanks!