Render in dark scenes

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Render in dark scenes

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

To put it bluntly: if you don't understand a setting, don't change it.
I would recommend you right click those settings and choose "reset to default value".

The path depth controls how often a ray can bounce from surfaces.
The further a ray bounces, the lower its contribution to the look of the scene becomes.
High path depths can introduce noise and use up GPU RAM.
Try to use the lowest path depth possible without screwing up reflections or refractions.

For the kind of scene you showed in the first post, considering you are rendering on GPU, I would recommend this:
  • Engine: Path OpenCL
  • Total path depth 10 (because of the glass and reflective materials, you might need a bit more like 16, but only if reflections/refractions show up black)
  • Diffuse depth 4, Glossy depth 4, Specular depth 10 (same reason as for total depth)
  • Sampler: Sobol
  • Adaptive Strength: 0.3 (set it lower if you have noise remaining in shadows)
  • Filter: None (a bit better performance on GPUs)
S0rda

Post by S0rda »

About the settings. I applied the ones you wrote. Perhaps these are my subjective impressions, but now there is no feeling that the computer is taking off with my video card.

So, I forgot to mention one more thing. The scene is open (exterior), the lighting is due to the color, at a brightness of 0.01 (so that the unlit areas are not completely dark). And along the way - what about the lighting strategy and tell me about denoise please.

However, in the future I will need to make a scene in the interior. I ask for advice on this matter.

Honestly, I sometimes have the idea that rendering the scene in forced lighting, and then darkening .. but this is probably some kind of fantasy, given that graphic post-processing often makes its own noise too.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

S0rda wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 pm Perhaps these are my subjective impressions, but now there is no feeling that the computer is taking off with my video card.
Test it then. Render with the old settings for 5 minutes and save the result, render with the new settings for 5 minutes, then compare the results.
S0rda wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 pm And along the way - what about the lighting strategy
Do you mean the light strategy setting in LuxCore config? Just leave it at the default.
S0rda wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 pm and tell me about denoise please.
The denoiser that is included in LuxCore v2.1 requires a certain amount of samples to do good work (something like 100-200 or more, depends on the scene).
If you want to test the new Intel denoiser, you'll have to install an unstable daily build: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=736