Caustics

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Caustics

Post by lacilaci »

Ok, fun stuff aside.

Regarding Airstrike issues, can you provide reference of what are you trying to achieve and maybe lets start from there. More caustics doesn't make sense unless conditions for them are met.
In general cycles allows for easy artistic controls but luxcore don't (which I hope will change after major features are implemented) so you have to work with mostly realistic values and situations...
It's tough, but when it works it works great.
Airstrike

Re: BlendLuxCore for B2.8 - anytime, biased comparison will be

Post by Airstrike »

lacilaci wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:16 pm Ok, fun stuff aside.

Regarding Airstrike issues, can you provide reference of what are you trying to achieve and maybe lets start from there. More caustics doesn't make sense unless conditions for them are met.
In general cycles allows for easy artistic controls but luxcore don't (which I hope will change after major features are implemented) so you have to work with mostly realistic values and situations...
It's tough, but when it works it works great.
Continue from
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=804&start=10#p8731

Outdoor scene, light by HDRI
A simple comparison 2.8 cycles vs 279 luxcore for glass shader — caustics, refraction, dispersion, anything — as to what Lux can do, why use it.

Files are in previous message
and here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... Iwjpty72u5
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Re: Caustics

Post by epilectrolytics »

Hi Airstrike,

regarding caustics, it takes some time to get familiar with the topic in LuxCore.
There are many example scenes available on the forum, like here, here or in my caustics thread.

In my experience good caustics need strong lights.
Dispersion is not really necessary for simple glass or water renders, just slowing down the render.
The HDRI in your oil lamp file (nice model!) is too weak IMHO.
Also the object needs a solidify modifier because without it is one massive glass bulb.
Now when I do that and switch to LuxCore sun+sky I get this (Bidir metro & auto brightness):
oillamp.jpg
Image with ground texture.
oillamp2.jpg