Lux measurement using Irradiance feature

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
JuandeLara

Re: Lux measurement using Irradiance feature

Post by JuandeLara »

pro wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:03 pm
Dade wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:42 am
marcatore wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:59 am Dade, why are writing that IES file doesn't include any absolute value?
In LuxCore, the values you list are not used. The code is a direct port of old LuxRender code. The parsing of lumen per lamp filed is here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... s.cpp#L252
The read values are not used. As I wrote, the IES file is used in Lux only to build a relative (to the power * efficiency paramters) profile.

I could modify the parsing code to use the m_LumensPerLamp field to define the total power emitted by the light :idea:
Is it the right approach to set power=1 and efficacy=luminous_flux in LuxCoreRender to define the right light emmision as defined in .ies file (for example in my case)? Or would a this new parser do anything else?

Also if I understood marcatore correctly, .ies file includes only visible spectrum information, and Irradiance feature (pls correct me if I'm wrong) uses only this kind information without other invisible spectrums. If that's the case, maybe a better name for this feature would be "illuminance AOV" rather that "irradiance AOV"?
Hi Pro, did you manage to finalise this code and obtain results?
pro

Re: Lux measurement using Irradiance feature

Post by pro »

JuandeLara wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:17 am
pro wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:03 pm
Dade wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:42 am

In LuxCore, the values you list are not used. The code is a direct port of old LuxRender code. The parsing of lumen per lamp filed is here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... s.cpp#L252
The read values are not used. As I wrote, the IES file is used in Lux only to build a relative (to the power * efficiency paramters) profile.

I could modify the parsing code to use the m_LumensPerLamp field to define the total power emitted by the light :idea:
Is it the right approach to set power=1 and efficacy=luminous_flux in LuxCoreRender to define the right light emmision as defined in .ies file (for example in my case)? Or would a this new parser do anything else?

Also if I understood marcatore correctly, .ies file includes only visible spectrum information, and Irradiance feature (pls correct me if I'm wrong) uses only this kind information without other invisible spectrums. If that's the case, maybe a better name for this feature would be "illuminance AOV" rather that "irradiance AOV"?
Hi Pro, did you manage to finalise this code and obtain results?
Hi,
no unfortunately I was not able to extract "lux" values back than from LuxCoreRenderer.
Maybe the state of the code has changed in two years that passed by from the time I was asking those questions - Dade, is something similar implemented already (measuring physically correct lux intesity that falls on the surface)? Thank you for your feedback.
Kind regards,
Pro