Network Render Exporterror

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Flink

Network Render Exporterror

Post by Flink »

Hi,

I'm new to LuxCoreRender and using it for personal projects. First of all thank you for this awesome renderengine. I am using Version 2.1 beta1 on a Windows 10 and a Windows 7 computer. At the moment I'm trying to test the network renderer but LuxCore is showing some strange behavior when exporting the scene. Writing the scene in binary format causes the following error message:
ios_base::failbit set: iostream stream error

I tried also to write the scene as text file and got an error message saying: Directory doesn't exist. This seems strange because LuxCore creats a new directory at the chosen location?!

Do you have any idea what could cause my problems?

Sorry for not coming up with an example .blend file, but I wasn't able to reproduce the error safely :roll: Sometimes I got the error even with the default cube scene and other times it is working correctly.
The last few lines from blender console are attached as an image and will hopefully help.
Attachments
LuxCoreErrorBin.PNG
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Network Render Exporterror

Post by Dade »

Can you try with beta2 ? During the development, at some point, there was a bug causing the usage of a different file format while reading and writing the Film.

I have the feeling it is not your problem but it is the first check to do to track the problem.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Flink

Post by Flink »

Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately your feeling is right.
With beta2 there is still the same behavior.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Flink wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:02 pm Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately your feeling is right.
With beta2 there is still the same behavior.
It is a strange problem. The error is a bit cryptic but it seems to imply a problem while writing the binary scene format. It is even more strange if it is intermittent. It looks like an I/O error as if you were missing the rights to write in the selected directory :?:

Can you try to just export the scene in text and binary format (without network rendering) to isolate the problem ?
Flink

Post by Flink »

I don't think it is a problem of missing rights. I exported two different scenes into the same folder, but only one scene showed the error.
What exactly do you mean with this?
Can you try to just export the scene in text and binary format (without network rendering) to isolate the problem ?
In blenders renderpanel I checked "Only write LuxCore Scene", chose format and directory and hit the Render button.
At this point there is no network rendering involved I think. Or am I missing something?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Flink wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:18 am I don't think it is a problem of missing rights. I exported two different scenes into the same folder, but only one scene showed the error.
What exactly do you mean with this?
In blenders renderpanel I checked "Only write LuxCore Scene", chose format and directory and hit the Render button.
At this point there is no network rendering involved I think. Or am I missing something?
I assume the error is thrown during the export phase so if you try to only export the scene and you get the same error, it would be the proof your problem is not network rendering related at all.

You can also manually export the scene and the run pyluxcoretools.exe manually to start network rendering (again to understand where the problem is: export phase or network rendering phase).
Flink

Post by Flink »

I solved the problem :)
The error occurs when the name of the scene contains special characters like ä,ö,ü,ß.
If I delete these characters the export is working fine.

Thank you for your support Dade!
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Flink wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:49 am I solved the problem :)
The error occurs when the name of the scene contains special characters like ä,ö,ü,ß.
If I delete these characters the export is working fine.
Yes, unfortunately, it is a known problem. It may even not be fixable on Linux because, until sometime ago, it was a limitation of Boost library.