How to imitate real world materials

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lighting_freak

Re: How to imitate real world materials

Post by lighting_freak »

Hello,

No, my intension is to directly control each of the elements. All elements in transmission should handle transitive properties only, etc.

I thought that settings like diffuse colour = black means that I reduced the reflected amount of light in glossy translucent tab down to 0.

In case of attached blend file should create a very narrow glossy reflection (controlled by reflection frame) and a very narrow transmission (controlled by transmission frame). The ratio between is 50/50, no absorption.
The light source is also a very narrow, little downward pointing beam. I assumed to see a stripe in reflectance (yes, I do) and transmission (no, I don't).

Also simple node setup with glossy translucent material show strong scattering even with low roughness values.

I know it's hard to understand the question... thanks for taking care that much.

BR
OS - Windows 7 X64
CPU - Intel CORE i7
GPU1 - Variants of notebook card from nVidia
GPU2 - Variants of notebook onboard card from Intel
Lux - Latest possible relaease
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lighting_freak wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:19 pm I thought that settings like diffuse colour = black means that I reduced the reflected amount of light in glossy translucent tab down to 0.
Yes but it will make the surface darker, it is not like if one "side" of the mix is black than the other "side" will be always sampled. Mix is a "uniform" mix and they will be both sampled (even if black).

Just try a simple test: mix 2 matte translucent materials, one with only black kd and white kt and the other with white kd and black kt. It will not produce the same result of a single matte translucent materials with white kd and kt. Not like what you where expecting (if I have understood your idea).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

lighting_freak wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:19 pm
Also simple node setup with glossy translucent material show strong scattering even with low roughness values.

BR
Glossy transluscent is kind of its own little world to be explored best starting with time and a sunny mood. I wouldn’t mix it with any other material. If matte is low tide glossy translucent is high tide at time when moon and sun are in one line. This material is a real Janus. But very useful for things like leaves, grass or paper.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1