LuxCoreUI - freeze on compiling kernels.

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
212antt

LuxCoreUI - freeze on compiling kernels.

Post by 212antt »

While rendering a lxs scene generated by Reality using Luxcoreui beta1 on MacOS. I encountered freezing that didn't resolve itself within an hour, the line being executed at the time was "[LuxCore][25.831] [PathOCLBaseRenderThread::0] Compiling kernels". The scene renderers out perfectly fine using a CPU engine, OpenCL seems to not work properly with other lxs I have. Thank You for any help.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: LuxCoreUI - freeze on compiling kernels.

Post by Dade »

212antt wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:52 am While rendering a lxs scene generated by Reality using Luxcoreui beta1 on MacOS. I encountered freezing that didn't resolve itself within an hour, the line being executed at the time was "[LuxCore][25.831] [PathOCLBaseRenderThread::0] Compiling kernels". The scene renderers out perfectly fine using a CPU engine, OpenCL seems to not work properly with other lxs I have. Thank You for any help.
This is usually due to bugs in GPU driver (NVIDIA ?). This kind of problems were present in Linux/Windows drivers too but they have been solved over time. I assume MacOS OpenCL drivers hasn't been updated (try to check if there is an update you have not installed).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
212antt

Post by 212antt »

Sorry, I didn’t mention that I am using a 2017 MacBook Pro with an AMD 560. I am using the latest version of MacOS Mojave, the test scenes work fine, I haven’t tried any of the complex scenes.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

212antt wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:51 pm Sorry, I didn’t mention that I am using a 2017 MacBook Pro with an AMD 560. I am using the latest version of MacOS Mojave, the test scenes work fine, I haven’t tried any of the complex scenes.
Apple has dropped the the support for OpenCL (and it was quite bad even before that point), I'm afraid there isn't something we can do to fix the problem.
212antt

Post by 212antt »

Other OpenCl applications still work, it is only deprecated. While performance was never the best, other scenes work in Mojave using OpenCL.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

212antt wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:00 pm Other OpenCl applications still work, it is only deprecated. While performance was never the best, other scenes work in Mojave using OpenCL.
If you use LuxCoreUI, you can also select the OpenCL CPU device for the rendering. I assume you should have one. It will probably work and it will be another proof your OpenCL GPU device is broken.
212antt

Post by 212antt »

I've done some further testing out of pure curiosity and I've narrowed down the issue I was having. The Lxs scene I was using prior, renders out using OpenCL in LuxRender 1.7 on the GPU. LuxCoreUI appears to have a bug where if the application crashes, then a restart is required to get OpenCl working again when selecting to use cpu devices, rather than selecting each one. I used, the LuxCore 2.1 benchmark scene to test this for an cfg file, when setting the first compilation of the scene on the cpu and manually selecting the dGPU, in my case an rx 560, the scene renders. When selecting to use cpu devices, either a segmentation fault or an OpenCL crash occurs, however I don't know how to modify an lxs file for LuxCoreUI to immediately use PATHOCL. Once again, thank you for your help.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

212antt wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:15 am however I don't know how to modify an lxs file for LuxCoreUI to immediately use PATHOCL
Look for the line "renderengine.type ="
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... er.cfg#L29
212antt

Post by 212antt »

The rendering engine set in an lxs file is not used by LuxCoreUI and I just tested several lxs scenes in windows and LuxCoreUI freezes in the same way as Mac. I was using beta1 and I did exactly the same process for both platforms.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I think you can set LuxCore properties in an lxs file.