Albedo pass

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Albedo pass

Post by lacilaci »

Can we have an albedo pass?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Albedo pass

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:11 am Can we have an albedo pass?
It depends on your definition of albedo pass but isn't diffuse+glossy AOVs what are you looking for ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:49 am
lacilaci wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:11 am Can we have an albedo pass?
It depends on your definition of albedo pass but isn't diffuse+glossy AOVs what are you looking for ?
I think technically that is albedo, What I'm looking for is more of an overal diffuse color pass that includes texture, that could be calculated fast...?
I'm asking cause nvidia denoiser can use this as an extra information for preserving details together with normal pass.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:59 am I think technically that is albedo, What I'm looking for is more of an overal diffuse color pass that includes texture, that could be calculated fast...?
I'm asking cause nvidia denoiser can use this as an extra information for preserving details together with normal pass.
The diffuse AOV should be that but I have the feeling you may need something different. Do you have any link/documentation ? I need a more "formal" definition of the AOV you are looking for.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I think an albedo pass only contains the diffuse material color without any light/shadow applied to it.
Metal/mirror would probably be black, glossy materials would only include their diffuse base color without the specular color, etc.

But to be honest I can't find a formal definition for it quickly, and sometimes example images seem to contain lighting, like this one:
http://media.obsidian.net/eternity/medi ... passes.jpg
(however it could also be that the yellow light on the ground is baked in, since it's from a game).

@lacilaci: I think for your purpose it would be best to look into the documentation of the denoiser you are using, or ask the developer what exactly his denoiser expects from an albedo pass.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:53 pm
lacilaci wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:59 am I think technically that is albedo, What I'm looking for is more of an overal diffuse color pass that includes texture, that could be calculated fast...?
The diffuse AOV should be that but I have the feeling you may need something different. Do you have any link/documentation ? I need a more "formal" definition of the AOV you are looking for.
I will look more into this, but later...
Cause I need to first figure on some tests if it even is worth it. I did some test "faking" albedo pass to see how it affects the denoiser and atm I'm not sure if the results aren't better with just plaing beauty pass.
Problem is that as you stated, it's probably not proper albedo pass that is needed.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:01 pm I think an albedo pass only contains the diffuse material color without any light/shadow applied to it.
Metal/mirror would probably be black, glossy materials would only include their diffuse base color without the specular color, etc.

But to be honest I can't find a formal definition for it quickly, and sometimes example images seem to contain lighting, like this one:
http://media.obsidian.net/eternity/medi ... passes.jpg
(however it could also be that the yellow light on the ground is baked in, since it's from a game).

@lacilaci: I think for your purpose it would be best to look into the documentation of the denoiser you are using, or ask the developer what exactly his denoiser expects from an albedo pass.
Yes, the more I look into it the more I'm confused. I'm not even sure the normal pass luxcore produces is the right for that denoiser..
I think this is a dead end. I was only asking for this because of the denoiser and I'm not even sure that it is going to be updated/maintained.