Error "Unkown Shape"

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
kintuX

Error "Unkown Shape"

Post by kintuX »

Error: "Unknown shape: Mesh-Mesh_Cube_332126776000"
- every time after first render (even on a simple scene: cube, sun, sky) / screenshot from a console:

First i used "Purge Orphan Data" to start another render, but still animation was impossible.
Then i found it didn't happen on a fresh blender installation (2.79a)... and finally, if i removed 'startup' from 'config' folder.

So i guess a new 'startup.blend' is the solution. ;)
:?
Seems i was wrong...

After setting new 'startup' file "Unknown Shape" error came back.
Since i can't find the bug (& don't 'understand' the message), i made a file which always shows the error, even if it's opened with clean, otherwise perfectly running installation.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open attached file
CameraAnimation.blend
(117.43 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
2. Start render (f12) - render done OK

3. Start render again - this time error occurs & rendering stops

B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Error "Unkown Shape"

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I can reproduce it.

edit: for some reason, the renderengine instance is not deleted after the render ends in your scene.
Maybe some kind of persistence setting in Blender? I have never seen this before.

edit2: spot on, it's the "Persistent Images" setting of Cycles.
Of course, it is nowhere documented what this setting actually does and what it means for an external renderer... :?

So if you want to render, disable this setting. It's in Cycles performance settings.

I created an issue for it: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendLuxCore/issues/59
For now I create a new exporter instance before final renders to fix this behaviour (so we are currently not making use of the capabilities of this setting).
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

:oops: Oh, i use it constantly with Cycles for animations & I simply never thought that could be it.
Was a huge deal breaker, preventing rendering animations with Lux.

So TYVM, i really appreciate finding the cause.
:D
kintuX

[Differential > D2613] Cycles: Implement persistent storage for all scene data

Post by kintuX »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:01 pm edit2: spot on, it's the "Persistent Images" setting of Cycles.
Of course, it is nowhere documented what this setting actually does and what it means for an external renderer... :?

It looks like it... IDK if it's of any help, I only found this:

[Differential > D2613] Cycles: Implement persistent storage for all scene data (@ developer.blender.org)
Authored by Lukas Stockner (lukasstockner97) on Apr 9 2017, 5:04 PM.

Currently Persistent Data only keeps images in memory, this patch extends it to the full Scene and BlenderSync.

But, for preview animation renders, syncing can easily take more time than the rendering itself. When people start to use viewport rendering and screenshot every frame just to avoid expensive resyncs, something has to be fixed...

One hack that I'm not really happy about in this patch is the "update ID". The problem there is that for viewport rendering, the depsgraph tags updated objects and Cycles uses that info for resyncing. But, with persistent data for regular rendering, another way for detecting updates is needed. Therefore, a counter is added that's incremented with every update - by keeping the previous counter in memory, Cycles can check whether an object needs to be updated.

For quick preview animations containing only small changes between frames (like only having camera animation), this can easily save 50% of the render time or more.
Maybe a blender developer could explain it more in detail... at least, if it can be used by an external renderer?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

As far as I see this patch was not merged into master yet.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Aha, ok... how about this?
Optimizations: Persistent Images option to keep images loaded on the device, saved time initializing next rendering. (r52030)
Release notes: Blender 2.65.

& that's about all i could find for now
ah, well i know nothing... just trying to help
thanks for everything
8-)