adaptivity

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

adaptivity

Post by lacilaci »

Is it working? Are there some good examples of before/after, where it helped?
I'm asking cause in my curent adaptivity of 0.95 and 0.00 give me the exact same result in the same time, absolutely no difference at all.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: adaptivity

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Here's the announcement thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83&p=1187

The thing about adaptivity is that it uses the convergence test.
You can only change how often the convergence test is done if you enable the noise halt condition.
It is on my todo list to make this more obvious, but I didn't come around to it yet.

So in your case, it could be that you did not render enough samples for the convergence test to be done at all.
By default, there is a warmup phase of 64 samples, then after 64 more samples the first convergence test is performed and the adaptivity starts to kick in.
So you need to render more than 128 samples to see an effect.

You can test if the adaptivity is working by enabling the "Samplecount" AOV.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:32 am Here's the announcement thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83&p=1187

The thing about adaptivity is that it uses the convergence test.
You can only change how often the convergence test is done if you enable the noise halt condition.
It is on my todo list to make this more obvious, but I didn't come around to it yet.

So in your case, it could be that you did not render enough samples for the convergence test to be done at all.
By default, there is a warmup phase of 64 samples, then after 64 more samples the first convergence test is performed and the adaptivity starts to kick in.
So you need to render more than 128 samples to see an effect.

You can test if the adaptivity is working by enabling the "Samplecount" AOV.
Ok thanks, are there some limitations to what I can use as warmup samples and test step samples? Cause I changed those values and now luxcore renders at 0 samples/sec and rendering is black with about 8 white pixels and if I stop it blender freezes :D
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Ok, so I just learned that enabling the samplecount AOV breaks the rendering, at least in my case...
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Sounds like a bug?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:08 am Sounds like a bug?
I guess, but is it luxcore or addon? In different scene rendering went on ok, but stopping rendering froze blender and samplecount aov was just few white pixels in transparent background...