render and viewport show different results

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
kintuX

Re: render and viewport show different results

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:36 pm
kintuX wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:09 pm Another notice:
Emission material emits light only in one direction (normal, while backface is black) which makes it cumbersome when used on flat (non-solid) 'twisting' geometry. 'Solidify' fixes this, but with 'Rim' on, is more than doubling the number of lights.
eg
emitter_flatbad-solidgood.jpg

Is double sided emitter supported in LuxCore? If so, how can it be enabled in the addon?
No but there is a trick to get double side lights: you can use an 1x1 image map of a white pixel as IES map to emit lights in all directions with constant values. Using something like a 512x512 image you can just "draw" how you want the light to be emitted (only in one hemisphere, with varying intensity, etc.).
kintuX wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:09 pm PS
Also, while i'm at it, is the "RaySwitch" concept applicable to LuxCore?
No and it is unlikely it will ever been supported (i.e. it is very not physically based).
Thanks answering & a nice tip along.
Yeah, RaySwitch is black magic. :twisted:
Sharlybg wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:12 pm
No and it is unlikely it will ever been supported (i.e. it is very not physically based).
I also really really don't like such heavy biased feature.
If reality would allow such behavior of light, it would still render physically correct. IMHO is a tool which can be used for artistic control (creating visions/ illusions) which are otherwise impossible for the sake of principle & belief. Not because one would render 'wrongly'. One can do bad biased render even now or with full limits applied. Simply ignore rules & guidelines for creating balanced materials, lighting... and you're done - you got your biased render.
You and I, we all do it - it's our 'artistic expression'.
;)
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

If reality would allow such behavior of light, it would still render physically correct. IMHO is a tool which can be used for artistic control (creating visions/ illusions) which are otherwise impossible for the sake of principle & belief. Not because one would render 'wrongly'. One can do bad biased render even now or with full limits applied. Simply ignore rules & guidelines for creating balanced materials, lighting... and you're done - you got your biased render.
You and I, we all do it - it's our 'artistic expression'.
I mean for me and for such a small coding team i really really don't care about such kind of features they can simply not be priority other more usefull features. Even Microdisplacement / Principled shader / out of core geometry / aren't yet implemented so why to spend lot of energy in such niche and corner cases :?:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

I know, i know - why i'm learning more and more
was purely a question out of interest in this engine & Dade's view on the matter, not a request for a feature...
i really appreciate all this and am interested in the tech itself,
but i also i don't like to be pushed around and preached about how my mind should operate and my views on life should be... tho it just occurred to me, maybe you like it? :twisted:

nah, be well ;) keep doing great renders!
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

I know, i know - why i'm learning more and more
was purely a question out of interest in this engine & Dade's view on the matter, not a request for a feature...
i really appreciate all this and am interested in the tech itself,
but i also i don't like to be pushed around and preached about how my mind should operate and my views on life should be... tho it just occurred to me, maybe you like it? :twisted:

nah, be well ;) keep doing great renders!
Don't worry man just want to understand your POF and why sometime people are interested in such tricks. Now you tell me that it is for pure curiosity and i'm fine with it (Also start learning python recently for same reason but find that i can't be super productive splitting myself like that ).

Please tell me Kintux do you have corona or do you have experience with it ? Want to do some comparison with it at some point maybe we can try something. Also they said that older corona Alpha X (5 or 7) are free (don't know but i read it somewhere).Mostly want to see how they UHD light cache perform.
thanks for your honnest answer ;)
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Attachments
2018-11-05_13-18-37.png