BlendLuxCore-v2.1alpha4-mac64-opencl

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Re: BlendLuxCore-v2.1alpha4-mac64-opencl

Post by epilectrolytics »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:24 am
epilectrolytics wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:44 pm @FarbigeWelt:
I have an old (2009) iMac too, but currently on 10.12.6 it is not really working with BlendLuxCore yet.
Thank you for the information.
Because update to 12.13 is not supported for this old iMac, I have to wait for 10.12 luxcorerender version or buy a new iMac.
Some Progress:
LuxCoreRender without OpenCL works on 10.12.6.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=644&p=6677#p6677
But not the blender add-on.
So it's possible to do CPU rendering on old Macs from exported files.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

epilectrolytics wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:29 pm @FarbigeWelt:
I agree. After four years I was also looking to buy a new Mac this year's end, but that Mac probably will be a PC :D
Strange enough, after updating some beta version my mac is on OSX 10.13.6 and luxcorerender addon runs with default cube: CPU and openCL. Because vram is very limited I won't use openCL on this mid 2010 iMac anyway.

Clicking button for Network Rendering leads to a pop up message. It tells me this kind of system (Darwin) is not supported. Probably an already known issue.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:59 pm Clicking button for Network Rendering leads to a pop up message. It tells me this kind of system (Darwin) is not supported. Probably an already known issue.
No, I forgot that we have to add macos support here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendL ... ols.py#L90
However, it just opens the pyluxcoretools executable.
It should be included in the bin/ folder of the BlendLuxCore addon. You can start it manually.
davorin

Post by davorin »

Any idea why it sometimes renders a scene with a bitmap spotlight without texture and the next time with texture?

Almost every second time this happens... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=647#p6578
macOS 10.3.6, i7-7700, 32GB RAM, GTX1060 6GB
robbrown
Developer
Developer

Post by robbrown »

Hi all,

Sorry I didn't notice this whole User Support area earlier. I was thinking it was quiet over on the developer MacOS post. :lol:

More of a general where I'm at for priority of things
  1. The blender network button not supported is in the works, just figuring out the proper blender add-on way.
  2. I'd like to get the BIDIR_CPU bug fixed so that all the tests pass.
My attempt at addressing old posts: :oops:
  1. Mac OS 10.12 support: I had picked 10.13 because it was convenient and a quick starting point. Once things are a little more stable I can look into back support as there weren't any large issues with 10.12 other than I didn't have a 10.12 machine lying around.
  2. 10.12 -> 10.13 problems solved? @epilectrolytics, I realize it's been a while but would you recall what issues went away from upgrading to 10.13.6? I'd like to document this stuff so if in a month or two from now there's still interest in 10.12 I know what to tackle.
  3. Benchmark File Crash: Just to make sure I know which file we're referencing is everyone talking about this file for the Lux Benchmark Blender file? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=574 I'm able to run this on my MacBookPro 13" non-OpenCL and my MacPro 2010 non-OpenCL (OpenCL crashes with Mix nodes)
  4. That missing bitmap is curious, bidir is definitely buggy on my machines as well. Maybe a new bug from what I have listed though. Is that blender file one of the ones floating around the forums here somewhere?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

robbrown wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:31 am That missing bitmap is curious
I doubt that it is a MacOS-specific problem, I have seen reports about this from Windows users as well.
But so far I could not reproduce it, even after they sent me scenes showing the problem on their machines.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Hi Rob,

first of all thanks for the great work with the MacOS version of LuxCore!
Having no coding skills I'm hesitant to post on the developer forum and opened this user support thread instead.
robbrown wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:31 am Mac OS 10.12 support: I had picked 10.13 because it was convenient and a quick starting point. Once things are a little more stable I can look into back support as there weren't any large issues with 10.12 other than I didn't have a 10.12 machine lying around.

10.12 -> 10.13 problems solved? @epilectrolytics, I realize it's been a while but would you recall what issues went away from upgrading to 10.13.6? I'd like to document this stuff so if in a month or two from now there's still interest in 10.12 I know what to tackle.
I'm fine with LuxCore running on 10.13, but it would be helpful to have a disclaimer on the download page (like "developed and tested on High Sierra") to avoid confusion.
In my MacBook is an nVidia GT750M and on 10.13 Apple dropped Cuda Support, I couldn't run Blender before I figured out how to install nVidia webdrivers.
On 10.12 LuxCore and BlendLuxCore were crashing all over the place while on 10.13 I could do simple scenes and render them.
Being suspicious of the nVidia thing I have now (Blend)LuxCore non-openCL only on 10.13 while on my 10.12 system I reverted back to the old LuxRender because there SDS paths and rough glass render better with Bidir.
Because of LuxCore and BlendLuxCore, openCL and non-openCL, 10.12 and 10.13 being eight possible combinations I'm quite confused and don't recall anymore what went wrong when in which version...
But I'm willing to get back to LuxCore on 10.12 in a month and help with testing :D
Benchmark File Crash: Just to make sure I know which file we're referencing is everyone talking about this file for the Lux Benchmark Blender file? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=574 I'm able to run this on my MacBookPro 13" non-OpenCL and my MacPro 2010 non-OpenCL (OpenCL crashes with Mix nodes)
I can't open the bcf binary of this file (A cfg I could hack) with the standalone version getting errors like

Code: Select all

RenderSession starting error: 
OpenCL device selection string has the wrong length, must be 3 instead of 1
on openCL and

RenderConfig loading error: 
Unknown render engine type in RenderEngine::ToProperties(): PATHOCL
with non-openCL.
The blend file I can open but it crashes when trying to render.

______

You aware there's a new volunteer for developing ?
Keep up the good work!
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

epilectrolytics wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:04 pm I can't open the bcf binary of this file (A cfg I could hack)
You can also hack the bcf file indirectly.
If you pass -D to luxcoreui, you can override any property set in the bcf file.
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... ui.cpp#L94
for example:

./luxcoreui -o file.bcf -D renderengine.type PATHCPU
robbrown
Developer
Developer

Post by robbrown »

No worries on trying to track all those combos, that's a lot of work to go back and do just for documentation.

Some things that are super helpful when finding these issues and trying to reproduce them as a developer are:
  1. Link to the file that's not working
  2. Any settings not built into the link
  3. A crash log if applicable / or description of the issue
I'll try to stay more on top of the support stuff so that it can be more fluid dialog rather than crazy catchup. If it looks like I missed a post, don't be shy about letting me know.

Knowing we need the Nvidia web drivers is good to know for documentation I'll make sure to put that somewhere in install info. I didn't realize native Nvidia cards used web drivers as well having only had ATI until the current Nvidia card I have now.

Also thanks for the link about the other developer, I'll try to get in touch maybe we can get a few people onto the mac support as there seem to be enough bugs and oddities to not be stepping on toes.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Normally I would rarely use LuxCore standalone, I'm used to open Blender, switch to LuxCore engine, add meshes, render preview, add textures, change render engine and so forth.
When then a crash happens I have no file (Blender saves versions on its own but not necessarily the crashing ones).
But the main culprit seems to be the subdivision surface modifier which I use a lot.
So I made a test file: Blender default with cube, sun and sky: renders with LuxCore engine in Blender.
Adding subdivision modifier to cube: crashes when trying to render.
Saving to cfg and rendering in LuxCoreUI: works, no crash!
Applying subdivision to mesh (so the modifier is then gone) and trying to render from blender: crash!
Saving file with applied subdivision to disk, close Blender, reopen file: now it renders with Luxcore in Blender!

Here's the blend file with cube+modifier that crashes my BlendLuxCore including the cfg file that works in standalone and the crashlog:
(MacBook Retina 15" 2013, MacOS 10.13.6, Blender 2.79b, BlendLuxCore-v2.1alpha4-mac64)
epitest_LuxCore.zip
(102.48 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:29 pm You can also hack the bcf file indirectly.
If you pass -D to luxcoreui, you can override any property set in the bcf file.
https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... ui.cpp#L94
for example:

./luxcoreui -o file.bcf -D renderengine.type PATHCPU
Is this a string I have to type into Terminal while LuxCoreUI is running?
Sorry but I don't know how to start files from Terminal.

UPDATE:

Just installed the new BlendLuxCore 2.1 beta 2 that wasn't online yesterday: Problems solved!
Subdivision modifier now renders in Blender and also Sharly's Benchmark file (non-openCL)!
Edit: cfg file from benchmark.blend renders also in LuxCoreUI on 10.12.6
Edit2: Food scene and groundfog scene work right out of blender (10.13.6).
Yay!
Great job guys, thanks a ton! :D