pool

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

pool

Post by lacilaci »

Hi,

Any good tips, shader setup, practices when making a swimming pool with caustics?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: pool

Post by lacilaci »

Also a small issue, maybe not but for me it was a bit confusing at first.

If I want to use render layers I have to enable all scene layers before rendering, otherwise during rendering luxcore will completely ignore/exclude objects from any other than the visible scene layers. Is there a reason for this behavior?
I'm not used to render layers so I don't know if this is how blender and cycles work as well, but it took me a while to realize this.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

And another thing I'd like to do,

I want to render pool interior as a separate layer using bi-dir. However it would only work if nothing is in the foreground of the pool, if anything from another renderlayer comes into foreground it's visibility is ignored during rendering the pool and I cannot composite the pool on top of another layer.

Is there a way to make the objects act as holdout? so I'd get transparency where objects are in front of the pool?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

lacilaci wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:50 am Any good tips, shader setup, practices when making a swimming pool with caustics?
Use glass with white reflection/transmission and use an interior volume to have an absorption color, so you get volumetric absorption.
lacilaci wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:25 am If I want to use render layers I have to enable all scene layers before rendering, otherwise during rendering luxcore will completely ignore/exclude objects from any other than the visible scene layers. Is there a reason for this behavior?
I'm not used to render layers so I don't know if this is how blender and cycles work as well, but it took me a while to realize this.
The behaviour should match Cycles, only that we don't have "mask layers".
Anything that is not on a visible scene layer is rendered as invisible to the camera, like in Cycles.
lacilaci wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:38 am Is there a way to make the objects act as holdout? so I'd get transparency where objects are in front of the pool?
No, but you can create the holdout mask in other ways. For example with the material ID AOV. The new anti-aliased version of material ID could also be useful: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=605&p=6114#p6114
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:05 am
lacilaci wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:50 am Any good tips, shader setup, practices when making a swimming pool with caustics?
Use glass with white reflection/transmission and use an interior volume to have an absorption color, so you get volumetric absorption.
lacilaci wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:25 am If I want to use render layers I have to enable all scene layers before rendering, otherwise during rendering luxcore will completely ignore/exclude objects from any other than the visible scene layers. Is there a reason for this behavior?
The behaviour should match Cycles, only that we don't have "mask layers".
Anything that is not on a visible scene layer is rendered as invisible to the camera, like in Cycles.
lacilaci wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:38 am Is there a way to make the objects act as holdout? so I'd get transparency where objects are in front of the pool?
No, but you can create the holdout mask in other ways. For example with the material ID AOV. The new anti-aliased version of material ID could also be useful: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=605&p=6114#p6114
Thanks, any timeframe on when is the next alpha going to be released?