moving from povray to luxcore

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
avedis

moving from povray to luxcore

Post by avedis »

Hi,

I am completely new to luxcore but i do use povray. In povray, i have scripts which generates thousands of orthographic images each with varying parameters.

I am missing a few things from povray and hoping luxcore can fill the gap:
1. I would like to be able to import CAD models into my scene.
2. I would like to use the GPU to accelerate rendering. I have an 8 GPU machine.
3. I would like if I could texture to my models but in a 3D sense. e.g. Adding texture to a perfect sphere results in the sphere's shawdow no longer being a perfect circle.

Are there any good tutorials translating from my povray workflow to lux?

Thanks in advance!
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Re: moving from povray to luxcore

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Welcome avedis.

1) Are you familiar with Blender? What file format does your CAD export?
2) GPU is supported for path rendering. What amount of RAM do you have, main memory, graphic memory?
3) This should be avoidable :-)
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: moving from povray to luxcore

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I guess you want to use LuxCore through the Python or C++ API?
Maybe this thread helps as a start: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=371
(I have linked a Python demo script there)
avedis wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:08 pm 1. I would like to be able to import CAD models into my scene.
LuxCore can load PLY meshes, or you can pass arrays of vertices/faces directly from memory in your script.
If you use the Python or C++ API, you can import your CAD models with a third-party importer, then you can pass the mesh to LuxCore.
avedis wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:08 pm 2. I would like to use the GPU to accelerate rendering. I have an 8 GPU machine.
This is the easiest of your requests :D
avedis wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:08 pm 3. I would like if I could texture to my models but in a 3D sense. e.g. Adding texture to a perfect sphere results in the sphere's shawdow no longer being a perfect circle.
You mean displacement?
This is not yet implemented in LuxCore.
You will have to either add the support yourself (in C++) or you have to do the displacement in your own script/program.
avedis wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:08 pm Are there any good tutorials translating from my povray workflow to lux?
There are some samples here: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCor ... er/samples
However, some of them are slightly outdated.
Unfortunately, there is no real beginner tutorial on the API usage yet.
But I currently have some free time, so maybe I can motivate myself to write one in the next week, and you can give me feedback if it's understandable :)