destructive denoiser

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Dez!

Re: destructive denoiser

Post by Dez! »

I also do not like how the denoiser works. I do not use it. It distorts the brightness. And sometimes it does not work at all.
In Gimp G'Mic there is a filter that suits me.
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Isn‘t it a question of the right balance in a picture? If I think about colors and brightness I get several conclusions and one of them tells me a bunch of equotions. Since photosensitive silver plates it has been a quest for the perfect lightening. Don‘t sit in the sun for a candle light dinner. However, noise is a lack of information. In the dark parts there are rays missing and in the brightest parts the sensor gets over saturated if its real it influences neighbourrd sensors, electrons pass the wrong way. I wonder if the math behind rendering has to deal with gap-functions like tangens, or digital precision issues leading to flickers.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

On another note, if we will get indirect light caching.
Complex areas in shadows would be possibly resolving "almost" just as fast as directly lit areas and denoiser can become pretty helpful even in current state.

In the mean time, is there a way to force luxrender to spend more resources on rendering darker areas of the image?
Adaptivity does help to a certain extent but at one point areas in shadows seem to almost stop progressing.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

Just a guess: random sampler with adaptive set to zero and maybe uniform light strategy.

There are different kind of random pattern, real random does not care about human favour for order. Real random can lead to clumpy noises, but human expect well distributed patterns. A well distributed pattern may help to get smoother areas. Have to look for the article I once read.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:23 pm Just a guess: random sampler with adaptive set to zero and maybe uniform light strategy.

There are different kind of random pattern, real random does not care about human favour for order. Real random can lead to clumpy noises, but human expect well distributed patterns. A well distributed pattern may help to get smoother areas. Have to look for the article I once read.
Thanks for the tip. But it doesn't help. some areas in shadow never resolve and roughly after 4500 samples no visible progress was made.
For now only clamping helps.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Stratified sampler? :?
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

can i see your denoiser settings ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:24 am can i see your denoiser settings ?
defaults
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

lacilaci wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:33 am
defaults
Try theses one :

HDT >>>> 0.7

SW >>>>> 8

Scales >>> 4

PR >>>>>> 1
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:37 am
lacilaci wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:33 am
defaults
Try theses one :

HDT >>>> 0.7

SW >>>>> 8

Scales >>> 4

PR >>>>>> 1
Thanks for the tip. You know, the more I play with it the more I think it's not that much of a denoiser problem.
I think I got way to used to sec. GI engines like light cache of vray or uhd cache of corona.
So now I just don't get it that the shadow areas are pain to resolve :D
Cycles seem to be somehow worse at denoising but at the same time better at detail preservation, but I can at least cheat there and boost shadows with AO (it's a terrible cheat but at leas some help and it can sorta act as an in-render shadow filler)

Luxcore seem to be powerful yet simple enough to use, but there is still a lot missing and I think I'll give myself a break from it until there is at least "light cache part II" available. I bet 2.1 or 2.2 will be amazing.