clamping light in luxcore

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

clamping light in luxcore

Post by lacilaci »

So since we can observe how even high value for clamping does not remove fireflies but yet can flatten highlights heavily.

I was thinking, how does this clamping value work. Does it clamp the strength of both direct and indirect samples in general?

If that's true, can we have an option to clamp only indirect light?
Cycles has this option and it's a great help for removing fireflies and some bright noise, while it doesn't ruin the overall look where direct light hits.
Also corona afaik only clamps indirect light too not eve allowing direct light clamping(not completely sure how it works though).

I think, especially using the upcoming indirect light caching, clamping only secondary bounces could be pretty important.

Sorry if my assumption on how it works is wrong.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: clamping light in luxcore

Post by lacilaci »

Ok, some time after playing with luxcore and clamping. I actually kinda like how it works. The performance boost can be very very impressive.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: clamping light in luxcore

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade once made a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KqzfxgMRuA
Since the old forum is apparently lost, the explanation linked in the video description is no longer available. If I remember correctly, it is a new clamping technique invented by Dade.

However, having the control to clamp indirect and direct light separately might indeed be useful.