Network rendering on different OSes

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
AndreasResch

Network rendering on different OSes

Post by AndreasResch »

Hey.

Is it possible to use network rendering on a Windows 7 and a Windows 10 system? I just tried to get it running, but have no luck.

I attached the logs from the client and the server.

Cheers,
Andreas
Attachments
Logs.zip
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Network rendering on different OSes

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

It should work, but I remember there were some bugs when network rendering on windows: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore/issues/100
TryToRemember

Post by TryToRemember »

Huh.There's no solution replies on that thread. Sharlybg giving up seems unlikely, wonder if linux was installed and windoes abandoned? :D

RuntimeError: unsupported version

Could it be something that simple? In linux, if you invoke 'python' you may get 2.7-ish, and need to invoke with 'python3' to get a 3.x because the syntax is a lot different. (ie. "import sys; print (sys.version)" is required for v3.x). You'll notice the shabang lines in luxcore/blendluxcore are set to python3... I know little about windoes. When you install blender on windoes, it brings it's own python with, yes? like 3.5.3 is compiled in for 2.79b official for linux...

It doesn't seem to be network related, they are communicating, although the server isn't hearing anything from the client, but the client is the one throwing "unsupported version"... but if you suspect it's networking, there's an open source packet sniffer called wireshark you can d/l and watch them as they communicate to see if it's a firewall permissions, DNS / HOSTS file issue, etc.

When you solve it, please share and help the next guy, please!
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Hey - thanks for the answer. Some updates.

*) When i use the standalone version on both machines, it doesn't work at all. The server (Windows 7) won't connect to the client(Windows 10) at all.

*) When I use the NetNode started via Blender on the client (Windows 10), the Net Console on the server (Windows 7) writes "RENDERING" for a few seconds but then gets a timeout. This happens in a loop.

*) When I start the network tools from within Blender on both machines, the same happens as mentioned in the previous point.

So I also tried to run both the Net Node and the Net Console on the same machine (server - Windows 7) and it doesn't work either. I've attached the server log for this case.

I'll see if I understand the whiteshark tool. But if I can't get the conncetion to start on the same machine, something bigger might be the issue.

Cheers,
Andreas
Attachments
Server_02.zip
(1 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
TryToRemember

Post by TryToRemember »

hey, any progress? yea wireshark is technical, but from your posts I'm guessing you won't have any trouble picking up the basics quickly. Not sure it's necessary yet, but it is a great tool.

And speaking of basics, I guess we should cover that too - avoid those D'oh! moments later on.

Can the machines see each other for regular network shares? Are there mounts between them? Does blender's network node rendering work? Do you have any inet services enabled on either (httpd, ftpd, etc.), and can either machine access the other? also how is your infrastructure? wired, wireless, same router, hub/switch, is there a firewall on the router, did you set it up or your friend or your ISP or... blah blah blah... you know, just outline your setup.

I know it seems tedious, I'm sorry, but the more people know, the more they might pinpoint it instead of having you try random guesses.
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Hey. That's a lot of questions.

I guess the network part is basically fine. The Luxcore server and client are communicating after all. Firewall access was granted on both machines. They are on a home network and can access each others hard drives. I tried the Crowdrender addon for Blender recently, and communication was working well.

What is odd is, that the connection between the Luxcore Server and Client don't even work on the same machine. Maybe that's a good point to start.

Cheers,
Andreas