flat shading when using homogeneous volume

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Dez!

flat shading when using homogeneous volume

Post by Dez! »

I made the material completely transparent and noticed that Volume shows flat shading. Is this the right behavior? it looks weird.
⁄ dezigner.tilda.ws  ⁄ 2022-012 ⁄ 21-39 ⁄.png
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: flat shading when using homogeneous volume

Post by Dade »

Dez! wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:49 pm I made the material completely transparent and noticed that Volume shows flat shading. Is this the right behavior?
Yes, the geometry is faceted so the definition of the volume inside is faceted too.
Dez! wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:49 pm it looks weird.
Yes, but there is nothing you can do but subdividing the surface more. Normal interpolation can resolve this problem for shading (aka fake a truly curved surface) but the geometry is still defined by the flat triangles.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Indeed¸all engines render volume like this. In other words, since there's no surface, normals are taken out of equation = no smoothing.
eg
corona
coronas-Volume.jpg
cycles
cycles-Volume.jpg
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

Thanks for the answers and experiences with other engines. Amazing. Now I will think about it beforehand, in the process of modeling
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/