Laser not visible in volume

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
syhrdrjrt

Laser not visible in volume

Post by syhrdrjrt »

Every time I try something with lasers and glass in Luxcore I go crazy after a short time. This time I have a prism, three lasers and an inner and outer volume. The lasers are always visible outside the prism, but inside ONLY if you select rough glass. No other settings have been changed. Such absolutely strange errors always drive me crazy after a short time when I try to do something. Maybe someone knows how to fix this
glassNormal.png
glassRough.png
glassNormal_2.png
glassRough_2.png
Attachments
PrismDisp.blend
(812.83 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Laser not visible in volume

Post by Dade »

They are called SDS (Specular-Diffuse-Specular) paths and they require a very specific algorithm to be able to render them. You need to enable caustic cache (on volumes) to be able to see them.

By using rough glass you transform SDS paths in GDG (Glossy-Diffuse-Glossy) paths and they can be rendered by BiDir or with Path+Light tracing enabled.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
syhrdrjrt

Post by syhrdrjrt »

Thanks for the reply, wouldn't it be possible to give a very tiny base roughness to the normal glass as well, making everything easier? Also more intuitive?
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Dade wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:57 am They are called SDS (Specular-Diffuse-Specular) paths and they require a very specific algorithm to be able to render them. You need to enable caustic cache (on volumes) to be able to see them.

By using rough glass you transform SDS paths in GDG (Glossy-Diffuse-Glossy) paths and they can be rendered by BiDir or with Path+Light tracing enabled.
Never had this in Mind.

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

syhrdrjrt wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:28 pm wouldn't it be possible to give a very tiny base roughness to the normal glass as well, making everything easier? Also more intuitive?
It wouldn't be glass anymore but rough glass :?:
syhrdrjrt

Post by syhrdrjrt »

Yes, but with dispersion. Is there such a thing as perfectly smooth glass? Isn't there always at least a bit of roughness that could then be used for GDG paths?
I did some more tests with the same settings and mixed the normal glass shader (+inner and outer volume) with other materials, and everything looks more realistic than the standard shader

standardGlass
standardGlass.png
glass glossy mix (shouldn't the laser be visible here, since it would be GDG paths?)
glass_glossyMix.png
glass metal mix
glass_metalMix.png
Attachments
prism_recreation.blend
(867.43 KiB) Downloaded 106 times