first steps on luxcore

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: first steps on luxcore

Post by Sharlybg »

Motion blur doesn't work on emitted particles: Alpha5
Blend
particule motion blure.blend
(2.27 MiB) Downloaded 266 times
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

How it is possible to see the light from the purple cube behind a dark geometry :shock: .
strange.jpg

blend
particule motion blure 2.blend
(759.26 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Sharlybg wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:20 pm Motion blur doesn't work on emitted particles
It's not implemented yet.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

but should we be able to see the purple cube in my scene ?

B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Sharlybg wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:07 pm but should we be able to see the purple cube in my scene ?
No, it should not be visible. Maybe a bug in the depth of field code (could it be that it generates some rays that start below the ground plane?).
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

It seem that our light sampling isn't good enough. especially for mesh light and HDRi.It is like we produce to much noise no matter the settings. I also see that light with more than 10 triangles are better in cycles than in luxcore .here are my results:

they all run for 60 seconds on GPU without clamping:

Cycles
cycles no clamp  night 60scs.png
Luxcore sobol
Luxcore no clamp  night 60scs.jpg
Luxcore metropolis
Luxcore metropolis no clamp  night 60scs.jpg
Luxcore Bidir
Luxcore Bidir metropolis no clamp  night 60scs.jpg

Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Sharlybg wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:50 am It seem that our light sampling isn't good enough. especially for mesh light and HDRi.It is like we produce to much noise no matter the settings. I also see that light with more than 10 triangles are better in cycles than in luxcore .here are my results:
Are you using a single mesh with more than 24 triangles ?

LuxCore switch direct light sampling off for meshes with more 24 triangles. There is an option to re-enable direct light sampling but I assume it is not exposed in BlendLuxCore.

To check the difference, render an image with exactly 24 triangles and than with 25, you will see an huge difference.

This option is intended for light sources with many hundred/thousand of triangles that affect a very small area of the rendering (for instance a neon signboard, etc.).

In your case, it is the only light source and affect all image so it is very detrimental.

P.S. BiDir ignores this setting because it isn't applicable to bidirectional path tracing.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

LuxCore switch direct light sampling off for meshes with more 24 triangles. There is an option to re-enable direct light sampling but I assume it is not exposed in BlendLuxCore.

To check the difference, render an image with exactly 24 triangles and than with 25, you will see an huge difference.
Is there any possibility to enable this automatically inside luxcore so the engine can detect itself when to enable and when to disable ?

Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Sharlybg wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:22 am

Is there any possibility to enable this automatically inside luxcore so the engine can detect itself when to enable and when to disable ?
It is exactly how it is working now, using a 24 triangles threshold. The threshold can be raised/lower but you can always build a case where you picked the "wrong" threshold.

Indeed, it is not possible to know how large will be the effect of the light on the rendering without doing the rendering itself.

At the moment there are 3 possible settings:

1) always disabled

2) always enabled

3) disabled if over a threshold, enabled otherwise (the current default)

I can change the default and/or the threshold but you can always build a case where they will not work well.

The real solution is the additional pre-processing phase I was talking about when discussing HDR visibility map (a light cache-like solution).
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

I can change the default and/or the threshold but you can always build a case where they will not work well.

The real solution is the additional pre-processing phase I was talking about when discussing HDR visibility map (a light cache-like solution).
Aaah Ok understood ;) . will try to avoid some bad cases.

Now i've got time to show some of my observation about HDR sampling efficiency and render preview quality/speed. It is like Cycles Hdri management is faster when Multiple importance is enable.

READ NOTE ON IMAGE FOR BETTER UNDERSTANDING:

Luxcore
Luxcore hdr+preview.jpg
Cycles

Cycles Hdr + preview.jpg