Material Preview for Bump input sockets

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Racleborg

Material Preview for Bump input sockets

Post by Racleborg »

Hi

When the noise node (or any image texture) is connected to the Bump Height input socket then the result can be seen in the Material Preview, but when the connection is made to the Value input socket it can't. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Images attached

Thanks you for all your help
Attachments
height.PNG
value.PNG
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Material Preview for Bump input sockets

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Set your bump height to 4.3 m instead of 1 mm ;)
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Yes, that shows in the preview.

Thank you
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

......that example was on a 2m x 2m cube, so 4metres is a lot of Bump! :) :)

Is the amount of bump in the material preview supposed to match the amount in the final render, or just to give a basic idea of it?

As I think you said earlier that it's all just multipication, so mathematically it shouldn't make any difference which socket is used, and presumably a Value of 1 is the same as 1000 in the Height? Am i making any sense? ; :mrgreen:

Thanks
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Racleborg wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:12 am ......that example was on a 2m x 2m cube, so 4metres is a lot of Bump!
All I saw was that you had two different values for the two sockets, so of course the result would be different.
Racleborg wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:12 am Is the amount of bump in the material preview supposed to match the amount in the final render, or just to give a basic idea of it?
They are both correct.
However if your preview object has a different size than your scene object, the bump will appear to be stronger/weaker in the preview.
You can change the size of the preview object with the setting under the preview.
Racleborg wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:12 am As I think you said earlier that it's all just multipication, so mathematically it shouldn't make any difference which socket is used, and presumably a Value of 1 is the same as 1000 in the Height? Am i making any sense?
If your scene unit scale is left at 1.0, then 1 Blender Unit = 1 m.
So 4.3 = 4.3 m.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

B.Y.O.B
Thank you for all the clear explanations.