Nvidia RTX A4000 for LuxCore

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Storen

Nvidia RTX A4000 for LuxCore

Post by Storen »

I am considering getting an RTX A4000.

It is a "pro" card, compared to the GeForce line it has slightly different hardware and completely different drivers.
Would LuxCore benefit from the specifics of its "professional" hardware architecture and the special drivers?

I mean anything else besides the obvious difference in the amount of VRAM.

Would you recommend it for LuxCore?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Nvidia RTX A4000 for LuxCore

Post by Dade »

Professional GPUs are usually very expansive (and a lot more expansive than the gaming GPUs with the same hardware capabilities).

They are usually worth the price only if you are a company and you are looking for some of the connected services (like on-site assistance, replacement, etc.).

Otherwise gaming GPUs are usually a lot cheaper and offer exactly the same hardware features and performances (for a fraction of the price).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Storen

Post by Storen »

Dade wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:38 pm Professional GPUs are usually very expansive (and a lot more expansive than the gaming GPUs with the same hardware capabilities).
That used to be the case in the past but not in the current market. The GPU shortage did not affect much the prices of the "Pro" cards because they are not used for crypto mining. Just roughly comparing the hardware performance and the price - A GeForce 3070 with 8GB VRAM and 5888 CUDA cores would sell currently for about $1300. The "Pro" option RTX A4000 with the same generation processor, 16GB ECC-VRAM and 6144 CUDA cores sells for $1200. That is not a huge difference. In fact it is a better deal.
Dade wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:38 pm Otherwise gaming GPUs are usually a lot cheaper and offer exactly the same hardware features and performances (for a fraction of the price).
That is not true in all cases. Many high-end CAD platforms perform better on "Pro" cards. Some actually require "Pro" cards as their performance on gaming cards is terrible. Siemens NX is a good example. Others would have some functions disabled when used with a gaming card for stability concerns.

Siemens-NX.jpg

I need the RTX A4000 for my CAD workstation. I was just wondering if LuxCore would benefit from some of the hardware specifics (ECC VRAM for example) and the different drivers?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

LuxCore won't benefit from the better double float performance or the special line rendering stuff that CAD software needs.
The ECC RAM will affect LuxCore as well, though (but it's hard to notice the difference).
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Is there any path tracer gaining special boost from that kind of Hardware ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA