Volumetric render ....

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Volumetric render ....

Post by TAO »

In the past few days, I was working on my new project to achieve a new look in organic render, and the results are very satisfying. is it possible to achieve this type of render with the LuxCore too?
The technique that I used is rendering volumetric shaders on top of the mesh object by adding displacement, noise, camera projection, etc.
The renderer that been used is Arnold and I manage to achieve the same result in 3dsmax and Maya.
Here is the result.
Volume07-s.jpg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Volumetric render ....

Post by Dade »

It looks more like a VDB object/file to me (note: we support OpenVDB), as end result of some kind of simulation. As for the material, a NULL material with a homogeneous volume with scattering should do the job.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Dade wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:45 am It looks more like a VDB object/file to me (note: we support OpenVDB), as end result of some kind of simulation. As for the material, a NULL material with a homogeneous volume with scattering should do the job.
For the VDB object that's going to work but what about the mesh object, at volume applied to it.
It is a mesh object that used as a volume with a complex shader on top of it, it possible to add the shader to VDB too.
Here is another example that I'm working on.
Screenshot 2021-07-02 161750.jpeg
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

TAO wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:22 pm For the VDB object that's going to work but what about the mesh object, at volume applied to it.

It is a mesh object that used as a volume with a complex shader on top of it, it possible to add the shader to VDB too.
The shader looks like a procedurally generated volume (but the labels are not well readable). You can try to bake the procedural volume in a VDB and than use the VDB with LuxCore (if baking is avilable). Otherwise you need exactly the same procedural nodes in LuxCore (and I doubt there is a 1:1 match even if I can not read the labels).
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Dade wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:36 pm
TAO wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:22 pm For the VDB object that's going to work but what about the mesh object, at volume applied to it.

The shader looks like a procedurally generated volume (but the labels are not well readable). You can try to bake the procedural volume in a VDB and than use the VDB with LuxCore (if baking is avilable). Otherwise you need exactly the same procedural nodes in LuxCore (and I doubt there is a 1:1 match even if I can not read the labels).
Thank you for the explanation, I will try to bake the scene in VDB format, just one question, can I apply displacement on the LuxCore volume shader?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

TAO wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:21 pm Thank you for the explanation, I will try to bake the scene in VDB format, just one question, can I apply displacement on the LuxCore volume shader?
No ... but yes: displacement is applied only to surfaces but volumes are defined as the space inside a surface so the end result is the same.

This is the volume of a sphere with applied displacement:

vol.jpg

The original surface with displacement:

surf.jpg
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

TAO, can you maybe post a link to the Arnold documentation where this feature is described?
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:27 pm TAO, can you maybe post a link to the Arnold documentation where this feature is described?
This video is the best one available that you can see the behaviour.
I made a video tutorial of how you can do such things and I will update that too because the tutorials and documentation are just simple things but the basics are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qakl3SI9whM

Base on Dade's suggestions, I tried to create an object with displacement and apply a volume shader to it, if that's work I can create a new mix shader that has displacement. displacement will affect the object and volume will be applied to it, in the user's perspective it will be a volume that can support displacement.
The only issue I faced right now is the volume in LuxCore is not as solid as Arnold volume and the render time is different.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Note:
Technique was developed/pionired by Lee Griggs few years before it hyped & was popularized.
The 3D Art of Lee Griggs: Geological and Microbial Landscapes @ YT
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

kintuX wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:37 am Note:
Technique was developed/pionired by Lee Griggs few years before it hyped & was popularized.
The 3D Art of Lee Griggs: Geological and Microbial Landscapes @ YT
I think that's a different technique called Xgen topology. What I used is volumetric displacement.