Loading kernels tooo slow

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
zooropa

Loading kernels tooo slow

Post by zooropa »

Hi. Is there anyway to speed up the loading kernel process ?
The amount of time I have to wait is really really long
Thank you
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Loading kernels tooo slow

Post by Dade »

zooropa wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:24 am The amount of time I have to wait is really really long
It is one time operations. The kernel cache is stored in tmp directory on Windows, you may have some kind of file cleaner, erasing the content of the cache at each reboot. This is likely to be the source of your problem.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Could then be possible to just have a command for load/compile shaders using single GPU w/o running Blender and rendering a scene.
Something like Arnold's 'Pre-populate GPU Cache'?.
Pre-populate GPU Cache

This pre-populates the GPU program disk cache. Pre-population is optional, but once done, this allows subsequent GPU renders start faster. The cache is stored on disk, but if the NVIDIA driver is updated, or the GPU hardware configuration changed, the cache may be stale and need to be re-populated.

:!: Note that pre-populating the cache may take 15 minutes or more to run.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:21 am This pre-populates the GPU program disk cache. Pre-population is optional, but once done, this allows subsequent GPU renders start faster. The cache is stored on disk, but if the NVIDIA driver is updated, or the GPU hardware configuration changed, the cache may be stale and need to be re-populated.
It is already available in LuxCore API and exposed by LuxCoreUI executable (but not by BlendLuxCore).
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

kintuX wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:21 am Could then be possible to just have a command for load/compile shaders using single GPU w/o running Blender and rendering a scene.
I don't really see an advantage that would have over opening a simple cube scene and pressing render to trigger the kernel compilation.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:06 am
kintuX wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:21 am This pre-populates the GPU program disk cache. Pre-population is optional, but once done, this allows subsequent GPU renders start faster. The cache is stored on disk, but if the NVIDIA driver is updated, or the GPU hardware configuration changed, the cache may be stale and need to be re-populated.
It is already available in LuxCore API and exposed by LuxCoreUI executable (but not by BlendLuxCore).
Sorry for my ignorance but is there any command line documentation/specs described, or which one specifically triggers it?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:19 pm
Dade wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:06 am It is already available in LuxCore API and exposed by LuxCoreUI executable (but not by BlendLuxCore).
Sorry for my ignorance but is there any command line documentation/specs described, or which one specifically triggers it?
This:

kernel.jpg
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Ran it & does Path OCL, so when I start with Blender it does it all over again for CUDA :?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:28 pm Ran it & does Path OCL, so when I start with Blender it does it all over again for CUDA :?
Uh ? No, it uses the default devices: if you have CUDA, they are all CUDA devices (otherwise all OpenCL devices) :?:
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

It might be the default epsilon settings that are different between luxcoreui and BlendLuxCore.