Product rendering issues

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Product rendering issues

Post by lacilaci »

Problem 1

Somewhat continuing on the topic of having in-render background visibility without affecting other rays...

Here's my test render that's giving me problems
problem.jpg
here is some official product render from another company from internet providing cases for those max airpods
noproblem.jpg
The point here is having background visible in refractions/specular and not contributing to reflections and diffuse

as you can see here
problem2.jpg
setting up world light to use only specular doesn't make any difference and still it affects lighting and reflections

and here if I enable visibility for diffuse and glossy the only change is visible in the metal parts (all shaders are disney)
why.jpg
I'm gonna do this by making 2 renders and compositing background+airpods+clear case as separate parts for now. But it does mean rendering the whole thing 2x. Is there a better workaround or is this a feature reuquest?

Problem 2

Intersecting clear geometry... Is there a way for me to sort volumes maybe to get rid of intersecting artifacts?
It is near impossible to avoid intersections in some cases.
clear case intersections.jpg
For example I also have iphone where backside of phone is glass and then there is a clear case on top of that and these are very tight models for production so in 3D they somewhat intersect at points. I could do some dirty tricks to get rid of it, like removing interior of the case model, but if someone knows a better way, let me know.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Product rendering issues

Post by lacilaci »

here I chose more extreme color to better illustrate that even if I set BG visibility to specular only I still see red bg affecting diffuse and gloss
red.jpg
Now that I think of it, If I could turn everything except case into holdout it could help a bit too, which is yet another issue :D
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Maybe Dez could help you ? he the one facing such kind of Product Viz challenge in a daily Workflow ;)
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

Problem 1.
More composing + less rendering = better result.
We stripped headphones and glasses in different layers of rendering. Install in each layer individual lighting.

What would get transparent glass - do not do world. Use Sun Hemi + HDR.
I use 1, 2 and even 3 Sun Hemi HDR.
I use additionally many small lamps

For each angle, your set of lamps.
Lamps make different forms and textures.
Sometimes I make an array array from a variety of very small.

Problem 2.
It seems to me that it is connected with the settings here:

I note that the increase in Max Epsilon badly affects the preparation of rendering when the GPU is enabled.
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dez! wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:27 am I note that the increase in Max Epsilon badly affects the preparation of rendering when the GPU is enabled.
Each different epsilon value requires a re-compilation of the rendering kernels, maybe you mean that? (If the epsilon is no longer changed after that, the kernels will be re-used of course)
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

I know what kind of compilation of the nuclei.
But I mean that the greater the Max Epsilon value, the longest starts rendering on the GPU.
At values of 1, rendering starts 5 minutes when the same scene starts at 0.1 in 20 seconds.
If you set the values of Max Epsilon 2, 4 ... The start of rendering can not be waited.

For me, this is a big problem, because I use specific settings for scene measurement units:

With these settings, you always have long and tediously select Epsilon values.
Long - because Epsilon artifacts are visible only at maximum resolutions and with an almost final rendering level.

I spend a lot of time and money of the customer to fight the artifacts of Epsilon, and I am very losing in competition with other visualizers.
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/