Struggling with transition

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
AndreasResch

Re: Struggling with transition

Post by AndreasResch »

No. But it seems as if Blender doesn't count instanced objects in the stats while Luxcore counts them. Didn't realize that before.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Use tile rendering (like Cycles) instead of the default progressive rendering, it will help you to save a lot of GPU memory when rendering very high resolution images.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Do you mean the "cache friendly" option? I tried that to no avail.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

AndreasResch wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:01 pm Do you mean the "cache friendly" option? I tried that to no avail.
No, I mean to use TILEPATHOCL instead of PATHOCL render engine.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

It's in Sampling/advanced in the Blender addon:
Attachments
Capture.PNG
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Cheers. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Just tested the tiled rendering and this helps a lot. With the initial settings of 64px buckets and an AA value of 3, the scene uses about 2GB of GPU memory now which is great. I know have to figure out the best combination for bucket size and AA values that results in the best times. And I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I need light tracing in one of my bigger scenes. But I haven't done any light tracing comparisons so far to see if there any benefits for my work.

I wonder if the tiling option should be tucked away so far? It's the default method in Cycles and well. Not sure how big the time differences between progressive and tiled rendering are (will do some tests later), but at least for me, this would be the preferred default method.

One thing that is annoying about tile rendering though. As the scene renders along, it's filled with green, numbered squares all over the place. With 300 of 400 samples rendered, I pretty much can't see the scene any more as it's green all over the place. Can I deactivate those? I don't mind the the yellow squares wandering around as they come and go.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

There are reasons why it's not the default and buried so deep.
It was easier to find in the past, but that created tons of support requests because every beginner enabled it first thing because "that's how Cycles works". But in LuxCore, tiled rendering has some drawbacks compared to full-frame rendering: it's slower, harder to configure, has its special sampler (leads to questions like "why can't I use metropolis with this?), doesn't support light tracing, and I probably even forgot some more.
The only benefit it has is saving memory in the rare case of super high resolution renders.

About the red/yellow/green tiles: you can disable them individually in the image editor, N-panel, LuxCore tab.
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Thanks for the info about the n-panel.

So now that I have figured out that there is a bit to get my renderings done, it's about finding the best settings to make the renderings look good and fast. And there are a lot of settings to adjust. If there are any things I should prioritize for my purposes (6K+ pixel renderings with mostly large textures) please let me know - it will save time.

My 6GB GPU probably will not cut it without tiled rendering. That "Out of core" feature doesn't seem to work and improve the situation. But from a few quick test, I might not need Light Tracing. I will see with time how that goes.

Thanks for the help so far.
AndreasResch

Post by AndreasResch »

Isn't the result of the tiled rendering supposed to look similar to the progressive version? My tiled renderings are much noisier with the same amount of samples.