updated LuxBall scene

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
patro

updated LuxBall scene

Post by patro »

I've updated the LuxBall test scene with the new text ^LuxCoreRender". There are 2 text, one is vertical, the other one is planar.
The scene was made in Rhinocheros a nurbs modeler and imported in blender since there is a good rhino *.3dm importer plugin available.
I'm not a blender user, so I kindly ask if someone is willing to set it up to work with blender + LuxCore and share here.
The scene contains a CornelBox, and the blender numeric grid floor
I've done 2 LuxBalls, one is the classic with filleted edges, while the second one has chamfered edges, I think better for metal materials.
This LuxBall should be more accurate than the one done by Kirs in blender for blender user, because creating perfect round holes with poligon modeler on a sphere is not that accurate like doing it in a cad one. It shoul also render faster at least it does on 3ds max.

I'm on 3ds Max using maxtolux, which is not in a final stage yet. I'm experiencing some weird reflections
LuxCore.jpg
this is the Luxball inside the cornelbox, rendered with LuxCore, on the left there is to notice a weird reflection from the red wall
reflection issue which is missing while rendering the same scene with vray, see image below, using brute force-brute force, which they consider to be physically correct.
vray.jpg
the weird reflection is not to see in the vray version, there are other strange reflection from the green.
If someone is going to set the new luxball scene in blender, I kindly ask to render the luxball inside the cornel box, just to see if the wall reflection happens also when rendering from blender.
grid-white-grey.jpg
rainbow-pattern-thumb15.png
textures for rendering test

Another anomaly I noticed is when rendering the luxball with mirror material applied, using a metric grid as floor, the reflected grid on the luxball looks warped, while this is not the case with vray. If there is interest, I'll upload these images too.

Tbhank you.

Edited: i just forgot to mention that the IOR is 1.5 in both renderer, reflection amount are the same, the rainbow map is used for the specular, color and transparency slot.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Re: updated LuxBall scene

Post by TAO »

Is this render made with 3dsmax or blender, and can you upload the scene file too, from file saver in options?
Remember to disable filesavers after saving the scene.
patro

Post by patro »

both are rendered in 3ds Max.
I can share the 3ds max scene later, in the maxtolux discussion. I will also share the vray one.
patro

Post by patro »

TAO wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:25 am Is this render made with 3dsmax or blender, and can you upload the scene file too, from file saver in options?
The blender scene is uploaded on pasteall org you'll be redirected to it if you click on blender in the first post. The scene is made out just from the imported geometries, it must be eventually scaled according to the system units used.
In 3ds max i have set the units to centimeter in both settings menu.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

That's right, the best unit system you can use in 3dsmax is cm or meter.
I will take look at the scene.
Last edited by TAO on Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

patro wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:44 pm
TAO wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:25 am Is this render made with 3dsmax or blender, and can you upload the scene file too, from file saver in options?
The blender scene is uploaded on pasteall org you'll be redirected to it if you click on blender in the first post. The scene is made out just from the imported geometries, it must be eventually scaled according to the system units used.
I click on the blender link you add here but the page was not available.
patro

Post by patro »

TAO wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:52 pm
patro wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:44 pm
I click on the blender link you add here but the page was not available.
the link from first post is working here but here the link https://pasteall.org/blend/9bab1c9f6421 ... 92a075b932
patro

Post by patro »

Here are the renders of the luxball using a mirror material.

1 3ds max and LuxCore MaxToLux
LuxCore mirror.jpg
2 3ds Max and Vray
vray miror.jpg
3-4 the images below shows the warping and where it happens when using MaxToLux and eds Max
screenshot.jpg
LuxCore mirror 1.jpg
I ask kindly to try the blender scene I've uploaded here, just to check if this happens only with MaxToLux.

Thank you
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

patro wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:49 pm Here are the renders of the luxball using a mirror material.

1 3ds max and LuxCore MaxToLux
LuxCore mirror.jpg

2 3ds Max and Vray
vray miror.jpg

3-4 the images below shows the warping and where it happens when using MaxToLux and eds Max
screenshot.jpgLuxCore mirror 1.jpg

I ask kindly to try the blender scene I've uploaded here, just to check if this happens only with MaxToLux.

Thank you
I can see what you talking about.
I don't know why is that happen and the cut edge should not affect this type of material at all.
That's not supposed to happen. i check the scene with luxcore and I get the same result.
Somehow edges are affecting mirror and material like that.
0021.jpg
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

With an object with no cutting edge, it's works completely normal.
Glossy2.jpg
MatteTrans.jpg
MaxToLux.jpg
Metal.jpg
Mirror.jpg