updated LuxBall scene

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
patro

Re: updated LuxBall scene

Post by patro »

TAO wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:50 pm I can see what you talking about.
I don't know why is that happen and the cut edge should not affect this type of material at all.
That's not supposed to happen. i check the scene with luxcore and I get the same result.
Somehow edges are affecting mirror and material like that.
0021.jpg
Is this rendered image done in Blender or in Max? I mean the LuxBall rendered perfectly with mirror material
Yes I noticed that the objects are rendered perfectly when there are cutting edges.
patro

Post by patro »

It doesn't happen just with mirror material, if you look at the glass rainbow ball, you will see some strange reflection. Of course it becomes less visible the less shiny and the more rough a material is.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

patro wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:04 pm
TAO wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:50 pm I can see what you talking about.
I don't know why is that happen and the cut edge should not affect this type of material at all.
That's not supposed to happen. i check the scene with luxcore and I get the same result.
Somehow edges are affecting mirror and material like that.
0021.jpg
Is this rendered image done in Blender or in Max? I mean the LuxBall rendered perfectly with mirror material
Yes I noticed that the objects are rendered perfectly when there are cutting edges.
All done in 3dsmax
patro

Post by patro »

Hi TAO, maybe the cut edge bad reflection, shown in the luxcore render, comes from the fact that this luxball is a nurbs, imported into max as body object from a SAT file. Body objects aren't meshes. Converting the body objects won't fix the reflection issue on cut edge, it can become worsen. it causes surely some deterioration of the resulting mesh.

Maybe adding support for the body object's class to MaxtoLux might fix problems like these, rendering smoothly like vray does.
this is what i've found about the sat-body objects on autodesk.
https://download.autodesk.com/us/3DSmax ... d28e527079

By the way, i was able to render the luxball in blender with cycles. The luxball is directly imported into blender from the *.3dm file (rhinoceros).
The resulting render show even worse result in cycles.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

I'll check that, I'm not familiar with body objects, to be honest.
patro

Post by patro »

Yes, thanks.
I know that many are not familiar with body objects, but it's getting more popular since it is the only way to get correctly and accurately imported geometries from CAD files into Maya, 3ds Max, from inventor, Catia and many other CAD softwares and back.