Very long wait for caches enabled

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
nigma46

Re: Very long wait for caches enabled

Post by nigma46 »

Dade wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:03 pm
nigma46 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:12 pm although other camera angles are takin considerably longer, see attached.
You have to consider how slow is your CPU: the pre-process of the same scene will take less than 5 minutes on an AMD 3900x.

Anyway, what do you mean with "camera angles" ? Other point of views ?
Yes, other point of views.

Interesting point about the CPU, yes, mine is quite old, i7 3770k, only 4 cores, 8 threads. It's good to know that a better CPU would be helpful here. The Zen3 CPUs look very nice!
nigma46

Post by nigma46 »

I am really liking luxcore more and more. Im starting to get some good renders now.
Attachments
Single HDRI, no lights except this, set as "Hemi Sun"
Single HDRI, no lights except this, set as "Hemi Sun"
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

nigma46 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:22 pm Yes, other point of views.
There is another parameter you can play with in order to reduce the pre-processing time: it is the radius of the cache entry. It is defined by default by an heuristic. Larger it is and shorter is the pre-processing time. However it is a parameter that may be not exposed in BlendLuxCore :?:

P.S. also larger it is and more bias you have and some light leak problem may arise (like for the max. normal angle).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:04 pm However it is a parameter that may be not exposed in BlendLuxCore
It is available if the user disables "use automatic radius" in the indirect light cache settings.
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:47 pm It is available if the user disables "use automatic radius" in the indirect light cache settings.
For clarification, I would like to add that this is different to the "Brute force radius scale", about which you wrote earlier in this thread that it has no influence on cache build time.

When unchecking "use automatic radius", a new parameter "Lookup radius" will be exposed.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

The long cache processing time is probably due to the scattering volume seen in the image, producing volumetric cache entries.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

epilectrolytics wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:00 pm The long cache processing time is probably due to the scattering volume seen in the image, producing volumetric cache entries.
Entries on volumes should be disabled by default :?:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
nigma46

Post by nigma46 »

epilectrolytics wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:00 pm The long cache processing time is probably due to the scattering volume seen in the image, producing volumetric cache entries.
I thought this would be easy to test, so I removed the volume, cache processing time didn't change.
nigma46

Post by nigma46 »

I've also noticed some reflection errors with PhotonGI cache, see attached. Seems to only be a problem when viewed at a glancing angle to the surface. What parameter can be changed to improve this?
Attachments
reflection errors.JPG
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

nigma46 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:25 pm I've also noticed some reflection errors with PhotonGI cache, see attached. Seems to only be a problem when viewed at a glancing angle to the surface. What parameter can be changed to improve this?
Can you show the ground truth render?