Very long wait for caches enabled

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Very long wait for caches enabled

Post by Sharlybg »

nigma46 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:29 pm I tried to exclude the blueprint "emptys" from luxcore render and set PhotonGI photon number to 1 million. Still did not finish pre-calcs for 15 mins, then I cancelled.
We need a scene to spot the issue i think.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
nigma46

Post by nigma46 »

Sharlybg wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:57 pm
nigma46 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:29 pm I tried to exclude the blueprint "emptys" from luxcore render and set PhotonGI photon number to 1 million. Still did not finish pre-calcs for 15 mins, then I cancelled.
We need a scene to spot the issue i think.
Unfortunately I cant provide the scene. I will try remove content from the scene and see if things improve. Thanks.
nigma46

Post by nigma46 »

So I removed all the high poly columns and instances, this reduced the scene to 400k polys. I tried the PhotonGI indirect cache and it completed in a few minutes. So I guess theres something about the column the cache cals dont like. Is it simply the poly count? I havent set up materials yet, it's just glossy luxcore node and a cream colour, nothing complex.

How can I proceed without reducing the poly count?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

nigma46 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:57 am How can I proceed without reducing the poly count?
There is a parameter to increase the accepted difference (in degree) between normals in cache entries. By increasing the value, you can reduce the amount of entries required to cover small details and/or very jagged surfaces.
nigma46

Post by nigma46 »

Dade wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:36 am
nigma46 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:57 am How can I proceed without reducing the poly count?
There is a parameter to increase the accepted difference (in degree) between normals in cache entries. By increasing the value, you can reduce the amount of entries required to cover small details and/or very jagged surfaces.
Thank you. I set it to 40deg and now PhotonGI precalc is taking 30mins and not crashing. 30mins is acceptable if the complete render is going to take 3+ hours anyway.
nigma46

Post by nigma46 »

although other camera angles are takin considerably longer, see attached.
1hr 20mins
1hr 20mins
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

nigma46 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:12 pm although other camera angles are takin considerably longer, see attached.
You have to consider how slow is your CPU: the pre-process of the same scene will take less than 5 minutes on an AMD 3900x.

Anyway, what do you mean with "camera angles" ? Other point of views ?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

What CPU model are we talking about here?
DionXein

Post by DionXein »

Dade wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:03 pm You have to consider how slow is your CPU: the pre-process of the same scene will take less than 5 minutes on an AMD 3900x.
Interesting, is it possible in this situation using raw rendering settings (without any caches) will gave better result in, for example, 2 hours? Or cache will significantly rise output quality?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

DionXein wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:00 pm Interesting, is it possible in this situation using raw rendering settings (without any caches) will gave better result in, for example, 2 hours? Or cache will significantly rise output quality?
On an interior rendering, it is likely to cut the time by 3-4 times so it is about the rendering resolution (i.e. on a very low rendering resolution it may be not worth using).