Noise threshold

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Noise threshold

Post by Dade »

Asticles wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:47 am
Dade wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:44 pm
Asticles wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:39 pm Ok, and what about lowering noise threshold below 1?
Uh, the noise threshold is something like 0.004 (use 1/256 has base unit), are you still confusing "Adaptive strength" and "Noise threshold" ?
I see that adaptive strength only affects speed. OK

Now I'm talting about Noise threshold only. What I see is that going from threshold 1 (which shows some noise on the scene) to 0 makes the gap very large. While with values of 1 the render time is 8min, with a value of 0, after 20 minutes rendering only 18% of pixels are converged.

I was asking to have the possibility to enter values below 0 more gradually.
The source of the confusion was that LuxCore uses a floating point values between 0.0 and 1.0 while BlendLuxCore exposes an integer value between 0 and 255.
BlendLuxCore could just expose a floating point value with 1 decimal position so you could write something like 0.5 or 3.7, etc. :idea:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Asticles
Donor
Donor

Post by Asticles »

Also, about adaptive strength:
Dade: You are not setting the halt threshold parameter so the default value (0.02) is used. This is a bad idea for a long rendering as, once all the pixels are under the default threshold, SOBOL will just revert to uniform sampling.

viewtopic.php?p=1825#p1825

I understand Adaptive is affected by halt threshold values?
Asticles
Donor
Donor

Post by Asticles »

I've tested setting threshold to 0.5 and it renders the image in the same time and with no aparent difference of noise than the image with threshold 1.

Always talking about blender interface.

Regards.