"Running Out" of samples.

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
trmosala

"Running Out" of samples.

Post by trmosala »

Hi All, I'm hoping to get something clarified.
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, I'm rendering an exterior scene with lots of particles for grass and trees. So I'm using out of core mode.
When I have my samples set to 512, my images doesn't render all the way. It's as though it "runs out" of samples.
To clarify, it isn't rendering the entire image and cleaning it up with more samples, it renders row by row from the bottom up and stops as when the halt condition is reached even if the entire image hasn't been rendered.
I've worked about it by setting my samples higher.
Is this a bug or a limitation?

I'm running 2.5 Alpha on Blender 2.90.1

Thank you in advanced for your help.
Theo_Gottwald

Re: "Running Out" of samples.

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

I also have that curtain-effect. It starts down there and slowly wanders up until the picture is ready - or ruined depending on the scene.
P1.jpg
P2.jpg
I guess it comes from the "out of core rendering". In Tiled-Mode its not there.
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.
trmosala

Post by trmosala »

I also have that curtain-effect. It starts down there and slowly wanders up until the picture is ready - or ruined depending on the scene.
Yup that's exactly it. You mentioned it doesn't happen in Tiled-Mode, there is still a performance hit when using tiled-mode correct?
Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

Here i think Tiled Mode is even faster (even though it should be slower).
The only Problem is that Tiled Mode does NOT support light Tracing.
In all other points including "Responsiveness", Tiled-Mode is better.
Did you try just NOT to use the "Out of core rendering"?
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
trmosala

Post by trmosala »

Render crashes without Out-of-Core. I'll need to try a simplified version of the scene that fits in my VRAM and test without Out-of-Core.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

trmosala wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:45 am Is this a bug or a limitation?
The halt condition must be a multiple fo "Samples per pass" number shown in Sampler panel. The value is usually 1 so it doesn't matter but in the case of out-of-core rendering is important and > 1.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
trmosala

Post by trmosala »

Thank you for the explanation. :D
Much appreciated.
Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

The halt condition must be a multiple for "Samples per pass" number shown in Sampler panel. The value is usually 1 so it doesn't matter but in the case of out-of-core rendering is important and > 1.
This should be handled internally in the input parsing of the form.
I can not input letter, yet i should also not be able to enter invalid values. Maybe they can be corrected to the nearest fit, or just be a "Multiplier".
Did I understand it right that the "curtain" will not come then?

Let me also say that i like the new "Lighting Assistant" that was implemented in Luxcore.
It does now set the Caches in the right way, better then a normal user could do manually.
This technology can be refined. So the Renderer may correct and suggest corrections for other settings also.