Asking to save unfinished render to file

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
david57

Asking to save unfinished render to file

Post by david57 »

Since trying to render with Bidir can take several hours can we have some way of saving our render to pick it
up later to be continued or finished?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Asking to save unfinished render to file

Post by Dade »

david57 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:10 pm Since trying to render with Bidir can take several hours can we have some way of saving our render to pick it
up later to be continued or finished?
If you export the scene and use LuxCoreUI for the rendering, you can save/resume (or even periodically save) the rendering.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

It is planned: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore/issues/78
I could hack something together with .flm, .rst and .rsm right now, but I think it's better to approach this matter in a more thought-out way, as described in the linked issue.

However what you can do right now as workaround:
- Export as binary scene (enable "only write LuxCore scene" in the render config, right above Path/Bidir, OpenCL/CPU settings etc.).
- Render with LuxCoreUI (it is included in the standalone download you can get from the downloads page).

In LuxCoreUI, you can save/resume the film and related files.
david57

Post by david57 »

Oh, i did see that about the export or "write LuxCore scene" but did not know what that was for.
Thanks, im glad its for that.
Also thanks, I just noticed that option "Use Samples" can be changed while its already rendering
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

david57 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:13 am Also thanks, I just noticed that option "Use Samples" can be changed while its already rendering
Eh no, in the current beta2 this is only shown in the UI, but the render won't actually stop when it reaches the halt condition.

However, you reminded me that this needs to be fixed, so I did that and in the next release it will be possible again to change the halt conditions during final render.