Suggested Value Clamp

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Racleborg

Suggested Value Clamp

Post by Racleborg »

Hi

I appear to be getting some extreme values when setting World to sky with a value of 1(even with values of .01 it's way too bright). The view attached is with Camera Auto Brightness switched on and a gain value of .5. If Auto brightness is switched off then there is complete blow out in the preview.

You can see in the attached image that the suggested clamp value is extreme

I'm almost certainly doing something very wrong because the renders that I have seen on this forum, by other members, are absolutely fantastic!

Thanks for any help
Attachments
settings.PNG
2 views.PNG
Racleborg

Re: Suggested Value Clamp

Post by Racleborg »

...I've created a new Blend file and copied the objects into it to see what happens.

The default gain for the camera is .5, but if I set this to 0 then there is no more blow-out, but the suggested clamp value still appears extreme? (attached)

Thanks
Attachments
extreme clamp.PNG
extreme clamp.PNG (3.47 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

The clamp value is expressed absolute terms (i.e. done before tone mapping) so all tone mapping settings have no effect at all.

The suggested clamping value is currently base on just the average luminance of the image and when the image includes a directly visible sky, it is apparently blown out. This is something we need too look into.

Anyway, you can just ignore the suggested value and do some test with an hand set value (the suggested value would be a base line where to start from anyway, you have to tune the value according your taste).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Dade

That's great. Thank you for your help.