Physically based light measurement

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Lummy

Physically based light measurement

Post by Lummy »

Hello, some time ago around the year 2015 I was using Luxrender to model and simulate an LED pointed at a flat diffuse target 1m away. Once the model was set up I push the render button, and a separate Luxrender window would open. The render would progress during which time I could choose a tonemapper. I was able to calibrate some multipliers in my LED+light model, and using the False colour tonemapper, I could read the Radiometric intensity by use of the tonemapper gradient, and also read values directly by hover my cursor over the image.

Fast forward to this year, and I am trying to get physically based measurement from LuxCoreRender .....
1) I dont need the mulitpliers I used previously, as the lights can now be set in watts, candelas, or lumens.
2) I can find a section where I can use a false colour tonemapper.

My questions are ...
1) How to I set the colours, banding and scales of the false colour tonemapper?
2) How may I make a physically based light measurement that falls on the target in for example watts per square meter?

I have most likely missed a tutorial and/or missed a section in blender; maybe I am not running the correct software even :-)
Thank you.
L.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Physically based light measurement

Post by Dade »

Lummy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:54 pm My questions are ...
1) How to I set the colours, banding and scales of the false colour tonemapper?
LuxCore doesn't have false tone mapper so I'm wondering where you have found it ? Is it a Blender feature ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Lummy

Post by Lummy »

Hi. Yes so I was confused between Blender colour management view transform, and the camera image pipeline tonemapper which I have just found.

Regardless of the view transform, I set the image pipeline tonemapper to linear, I enable the IRRADIANCE AOV, (and the Direct diffuse AOV ) and also enable the Irradiance contours line plugin.

All renders have a grid superimposed, which according to the bubble help means no irradiance info available.

I see nothing in the in either the irradiance or direct diffuse channels.

So my question 1 must be for blender not luxcore sorry.

My question 2 still remains... How do I get an Irrandiance channel either separately, or combined ?
Thank you
L
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Open the render layer properties and enable the Irradiance AOV.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Check the attached test scene for an example:

Screenshot from 2020-05-08 12-18-00.png
Lummy wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:00 am My question 2 still remains... How do I get an Irrandiance channel either separately, or combined ?
Just save the AOV in .exr format than you can do whatever you want with the file :?:
Attachments
irradiance-test.zip
(89.6 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Lummy

Post by Lummy »

Thank you. My problem was that there is no irradiance contours available in the caustic part of the render.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Lummy wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:34 pm Thank you. My problem was that there is no irradiance contours available in the caustic part of the render.
Yes, irradiance AOV uses only eye path samples (while light paths are the one most likely used to render caustics).
JuandeLara

Post by JuandeLara »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:09 am Open the render layer properties and enable the Irradiance AOV.
Hello people, I wondered if someone can help me with the attached file, and check why are my Irradiance Contour Lines not working / rendering?
Thank you so much.

File can also be found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c19wEK ... sp=sharing