HDRi and Light Tracing

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: HDRi and Light Tracing

Post by Dade »

jgrover110 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:52 am Updated to 20.4.1, still not correct. CPU load reaches 100% in task manager. This must be hardware specific if other people cannot reproduce it.
Does the Ryzen 5 2400g have an integrated GPU ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
jgrover110

Post by jgrover110 »

Dade wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:11 pm
jgrover110 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:52 am Updated to 20.4.1, still not correct. CPU load reaches 100% in task manager. This must be hardware specific if other people cannot reproduce it.
Does the Ryzen 5 2400g have an integrated GPU ?
Yes it does, but I'm sure it's not using that. OpenCL device is labelled as "Ellesmere".

I also tried rendering with Luxcore standalone, same image.
Luxcore.PNG

One thing I found while exporting from Blender is that the exported camera FOV does not take into account the sensor fit method, which initially resulted in a much smaller FOV than anticipated
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

jgrover110 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:16 pm I also tried rendering with Luxcore standalone, same image.

Luxcore.PNG
Don't they look quite different (original problem screenshot Vs. stand alone) ?

The shadow in the first one is pitch black, I can get the same result if I set the number of CPU threads to 0. I will check again if I can reproduce this problem in some way.
jgrover110

Post by jgrover110 »

Dade wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:21 pm
Don't they look quite different (original problem screenshot Vs. stand alone) ?
This is just due to the ACES tonemapping.
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

jgrover110 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:16 pm One thing I found while exporting from Blender is that the exported camera FOV does not take into account the sensor fit method, which initially resulted in a much smaller FOV than anticipated
This seems to be normal behaviour of LuxcoreUI specifically. Acutally had this question on ym mind for a while, maybe Dade can confirm if this is intended behaviour?
If you render from a terminal using luxcoreconsole.exe the FOV will be as expected.
jgrover110

Post by jgrover110 »

For sake of comparison, here is the render in Blendluxcore without ACES, only sRGB.
nonACES.png
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

CodeHD wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:42 pm
jgrover110 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:16 pm One thing I found while exporting from Blender is that the exported camera FOV does not take into account the sensor fit method, which initially resulted in a much smaller FOV than anticipated
This seems to be normal behaviour of LuxcoreUI specifically. Acutally had this question on ym mind for a while, maybe Dade can confirm if this is intended behaviour?
If you render from a terminal using luxcoreconsole.exe the FOV will be as expected.
Yes, luxcoreui resets the screenwindow parameters to use the current window size (so you can resize the window).
jgrover110

Post by jgrover110 »

This is a rendering with Caustic Cache disabled. This shows that the Light Tracing is working as there is a caustic from the metal cube, yet the shadows are still incorrect.
NoCache.png
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

jgrover110 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:45 pm This is a rendering with Caustic Cache disabled. This shows that the Light Tracing is working as there is a caustic from the metal cube, yet the shadows are still incorrect.
I have some serious trouble to notice any difference (aside from SDS paths) :?: What do you mean with incorrect shadow exactly ?
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Here is a side-by-side comparison.
Still a tiny bit of color difference of the background plane but I think we can agree the shadow difference goes beyond that.
I could not replicate it (from within Belnder) with some settings variations (cpu/OCL, light tracing on/off, cache on/off)
compare.png
I will try with standalone also, since it seems you were able to replicate it...