Direct Light Cache again

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Direct Light Cache again

Post by marcatore »

Trying to understand a way to improve the direct lighting, I've tried to use Direct Light Cache on a project I completed last week.

To study every setting I created a one matte material to check better the results and , after many changes, I've got this

DLC On
DLC_On_Matte.png
DLC Off
DLC_Off_Matte.png
Ok...fantastic...now I've applied the same settings on the original scene and...

DLC On
DLC_On.png
DLC Off
DLC_Off.png

As you can see, with original materials, the DLC On image is worst than the other one.

And if you look at the stats, the performance is worst for both scene with DLC on...but, at least, in the "matte" version I have best final quality.

What your experience with this cache?
How do you balance preprocess time with quality of the cache?

I've tried to raise up the settings, but, in my opinion and results, the preprocess time is not worhting the quality of the cache compared to the time you have to wait before to see the image.

Any ideas?
Thank in advance
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Direct Light Cache again

Post by lacilaci »

I dont use this cache cause it always produces heavy artifacting. And then there is the preprocess time..

I wonder though, do you use mesh lights with emission or just normal lights?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

But are you using a max. path depth of 1 for the tests ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

my study was about artifacts and preprocess time and the "matte" version show that I've found a good balance from preprocess time(probably something like 5 sec, a time that I can agree with) and cache quality.
The surprise was in the original scene.
I can't understand the reason.

The only mesh light is the logo sign but, I've tried also to assign a not-emissive material and nothing change (and, in any case, it's not an option...at least..it become more workload for "nothing").

The other lights are Area and Spot with IES attached.

Yes, I'm using 1 for all the path depth
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Dade wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:49 pm But are you using a max. path depth of 1 for the tests ?
You should have a PM if you want (have time) to test it