Stability and performance

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Egert_Kanep

Stability and performance

Post by Egert_Kanep »

Hello!

I was wondering if LuxCoreRender would give even better results when using Linux versions.
I know some software performs better and is more stable on Linux. Has anyone compared it? Or what are your thoughts on this matter?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Stability and performance

Post by Dade »

Egert_Kanep wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:18 pm I was wondering if LuxCoreRender would give even better results when using Linux versions.
I know some software performs better and is more stable on Linux. Has anyone compared it? Or what are your thoughts on this matter?
Linux may perform (a lot) better when using hybrid rendering (CPU+GPU rendering, enabled by default). The Windows scheduler is really bad, I can barely move my mouse when compiling Lux on Windows, no problem on Linux.
The same kind of problem may lead to a difficulty in feeding fast enough the GPUs when the CPU is busy doing rendering too. It doesn't happen on Linux but we have received some report about this problem on Windows. It is something I have still to check on Windows. It may be worth leaving 1 or 2 cores free on Windows to have the space to "feed" the GPUs fast enough.

For the rest, there may be some difference in code optimization done be GCC vs VisualStudio C++ but it is usually a minor difference.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Egert_Kanep

Post by Egert_Kanep »

Okay, I think I'll give linux version a try.
Egert_Kanep

Post by Egert_Kanep »

I managed to get Linux working, but after installing LuxCoreRender addon I get this error message. I guess it is related to my files location, but I can't really understand the problem.
Attachments
linux_install_problem.png
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

It means that it is missing a library file (like a DLL on windows) and can't load it.
Can you test it with this zip file? https://www.dropbox.com/s/5d56jggyb0brl ... v.zip?dl=1
Remove the failed installation first.
jensverwiebe
Supporting Users

Post by jensverwiebe »

Egert_Kanep wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:16 am I managed to get Linux working, but after installing LuxCoreRender addon I get this error message. I guess it is related to my files location, but I can't really understand the problem.
I'd say this is expected cause libembree is not designed correct for stationary use.
Such will also happen if you use a dynamically linked blender ( selfcompiled )

There is a thread where i explained the issue.

If you want you can get a fixed libembree.
To make things short:
- get the libs replacement i pm'ed you.
- unpack and place in : /home/<your_userhome>/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/BlendLuxCore/bin

If the issue persists, you have a dynamic blender and need the other trick described in the SteffenD thread or
get an official 2.79a/b.
Last edited by jensverwiebe on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egert_Kanep

Post by Egert_Kanep »

Thanks for quick responses. I realized I had older version of Blender installed so I updated is to latest version. The first error is gone, but new error popped up.
Attachments
lux_dev_error.png
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Is that with the zip file I posted above?
Egert_Kanep

Post by Egert_Kanep »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:56 pm Is that with the zip file I posted above?
Yes, I used the version You sent. Since I am very inexperienced with Linux, it may be, that I have installed something incorrectly.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Egert_Kanep wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:59 pm it may be, that I have installed something incorrectly.
I doubt it. The "install from file" button is enough.
I'm a bit at a loss what it could be. Maybe a version conflict with a pre-installed embree version?