Material Cycles conversion

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
camara

Material Cycles conversion

Post by camara »

I been testing LuxCore and it's really great but most of my model library is prepared for Cycles. Is there a fast way to convert Cycles materials to Luxcore materials? Any workaround or future plans for automatic conversion? I don't need nothing fancy just that the Luxcore can pick up the textures maps in Cycles and place them inside the Luxcore material so I can easily tweak the node tree.

And another question: on the old Luxrender there was interactive lightgroups. Are they implemented or are on the roadmap?

Thanks,

Eduardo
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Material Cycles conversion

Post by Dade »

camara wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:41 pm I been testing LuxCore and it's really great but most of my model library is prepared for Cycles. Is there a fast way to convert Cycles materials to Luxcore materials? Any workaround or future plans for automatic conversion? I don't need nothing fancy just that the Luxcore can pick up the textures maps in Cycles and place them inside the Luxcore material so I can easily tweak the node tree.
I think something very basic like in the old LuxBlend can be implemented but B.Y.O.B. can give a definitive answer.
camara wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:41 pm And another question: on the old Luxrender there was interactive lightgroups. Are they implemented or are on the roadmap?
Yes (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9&start=250#p2297), they will be in the next release.

Check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgqHZtW ... dex=7&t=0s for a demo.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
camara

Post by camara »

Great, thanks!
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The material converter is in the Todo list as feature request: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendLuxCore/issues/80
I'm not super keen to implement it though.
It's not fun if the best result you can get is a vague approximation and 80% of converted materials are basically garbage.

If you want I can write a python script for you that does what you requested:
camara wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:41 pm I don't need nothing fancy just that the Luxcore can pick up the textures maps in Cycles and place them inside the Luxcore material so I can easily tweak the node tree.
But a full converter is not high on my "want to do" list.
camara

Post by camara »

I understand. Many new users will think that it will be a one click solution for converting Cycles materials and will start to complaint if the result are not the expected without think that each render engines is unique. But if you could get me the script that would be awesome!!!
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Exactly my thoughts.
camara wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:59 pm But if you could get me the script that would be awesome!!!
Here it is: https://gist.github.com/Theverat/f2687c ... b93a1e6309
Attachments
scrn_2018-03-23_19-47-23.png
camara

Post by camara »

Tested and works perfectly. Thanks again! it's going to be a huge help.