lights behind glass

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

lights behind glass

Post by lacilaci »

we can now hide lights behind arch glass, but those lights will show up behind any normal glass...
Due to this, I can have a softbox behind a "simple" window glass but any glass object or a proper glass pane system will show it... Big problem.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: lights behind glass

Post by lacilaci »

also related to light visibility, we can make shader/material to have disabled shadow but lights still do occlude other lights.
This means if I put a lightsource near wall, it will cast shadow on that wall.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

set Opacity to 0
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

kintuX wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:57 pmset Opacity to 0
where? I'm now talking about area lights in blender. There's no opacity control.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Ah, no "real" mesh lights...
Guess you'll have to make a feature request then. ;)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

The problem about this is that you lose MIS.
This becomes apparent in glossy reflections/refractions like metal or rough glass.
In the attached scene there are two mesh lights: in the left half, with opacity = 1 and camera visibility disabled, in the right half with opacity = 0. The glass in front of the lights has shadow color white and the lower half is rough glass.
You can see the problems showing up in the form of undersampled glossy reflections (in the metal on top, and as fireflies from unresolved reflected caustics from the metal) and undersampled glossy refractions (the greenish rough glass).
Attachments
area_light_opacity.png
area_light_opacity.blend
(924.58 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:00 pm
This becomes apparent in glossy reflections/refractions like metal or rough glass.
In the attached scene there are two mesh lights: in the left half, with opacity = 1 and camera visibility disabled, in the right half with opacity = 0. The glass in front of the lights has shadow color white and the lower half is rough glass.
You can see the problems showing up in the form of undersampled glossy reflections (in the metal on top, and as fireflies from unresolved reflected caustics from the metal) and undersampled glossy refractions (the greenish rough glass).
Hm, any idea how cycles solves this issue? Cause I haven't seen any performance issues there with such features.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:51 pm Hm, any idea how cycles solves this issue? Cause I haven't seen any performance issues there with such features.
I guess they have a different implementation of material transparency/opacity. It's a question for Dade if the LuxCore system could be changed in a way that allows MIS to work for fully transparent emissive materials.
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:00 pm
Yes, aware of it... and I would simply rather render longer than spend time wishing for a goldfish to jump into my face. 'Cuz even then I'd need to master kung-fu or have humongous amount of luck, as they are quite slick and slippery, these sparkly little bastards :lol: ;)