infinite plane

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

infinite plane

Post by lacilaci »

Can we have infinite plane in luxcore?

Like a dedicated shader/object that represents endles plane, for ocean or endless ground etc..
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: infinite plane

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:15 pm Can we have infinite plane in luxcore?

Like a dedicated shader/object that represents endles plane, for ocean or endless ground etc..
Sky2 light source has such a thing (ground color, etc.) but I assume you are looking something where you can cast shadows, etc. Any particular reason to not just use a large square (made of 2 trinagles) ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:29 pm
lacilaci wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:15 pm Can we have infinite plane in luxcore?

Sky2 light source has such a thing (ground color, etc.) but I assume you are looking something where you can cast shadows, etc. Any particular reason to not just use a large square (made of 2 trinagles) ?
if I want such mesh plane to cover everything under horizon it has to be massive, isn't such huge plane affecting performance of luxcore when it ends like 100km away?
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Ok, mesh seems to be working fine... Just have to figure how to do the fog on horizon
sea.png
Haven't done some proper measurements but performance looks mostly unaffected (aside noise from sun reflections)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:37 pm if I want such mesh plane to cover everything under horizon it has to be massive, isn't such huge plane affecting performance of luxcore when it ends like 100km away?
Yes, it can be a problem if it's too large. It will increase the scene bounding box, which can introduce numerical precision issues in the code that uses this bounding box, e.g. the sun light source. So I recommend to keep the ground plane as small as possible.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:45 pm
lacilaci wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:37 pm if I want such mesh plane to cover everything under horizon it has to be massive, isn't such huge plane affecting performance of luxcore when it ends like 100km away?
Yes, it can be a problem if it's too large. It will increase the scene bounding box, which can introduce numerical precision issues in the code that uses this bounding box, e.g. the sun light source. So I recommend to keep the ground plane as small as possible.
well good to know, thanks. However the plane can only be so small that it covers horizon... So still big.
So maybe having it as a procedural rendertime object handled by luxcore would have benefits? Like vray does it? Or is this too much of a corner case to bother?
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

imo, Iray has it best (especially for architects) since ground and more is being part of its Physical Sky